Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping in the San Juans

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping in the San Juans

Postby herdbull » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:41 am

Does anyone know what the truck/tent camping is like in the SJ's? I'm looking at trying to find designated camping spots on National Forest land, i.e. FREE, while I'm out there. Sometimes it gets difficult to find areas near the TH where a guy can just pitch a tent.

Specifically I'm looking at these spending a night or 2 in each of these areas: Sunshine/Redcloud/Handies, San Luis, Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre, Sneffels and then maybe Pikes. I don't really need an actual campground. Past experience has showed me that anything within 5-10 miles would be sufficient.

Also any idea on the best route to get over to Sneffels from the east side? It looks like somewhat of a long drive just for one climb. I have limited time and might rearrange the schedule if I have to.

Re: Camping in the San Juans

Postby somethingrandom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:59 am

herdbull wrote:Does anyone know what the truck/tent camping is like in the SJ's? I'm looking at trying to find designated camping spots on National Forest land, i.e. FREE, while I'm out there. Sometimes it gets difficult to find areas near the TH where a guy can just pitch a tent.

Specifically I'm looking at these spending a night or 2 in each of these areas: Sunshine/Redcloud/Handies, San Luis, Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre, Sneffels and then maybe Pikes. I don't really need an actual campground. Past experience has showed me that anything within 5-10 miles would be sufficient.

Also any idea on the best route to get over to Sneffels from the east side? It looks like somewhat of a long drive just for one climb. I have limited time and might rearrange the schedule if I have to.

Sunshine/Redcloud/Handies has about 50 free spots and a great camping spot at Grizzly Gulch, not sure about going all the way to American Basin.

Dont know about San Luis, Sneffles, or Pikes.

I am headed to Uncompaghre/Wetterhorn today and from my research it looks like there are a few camp sites up both roads to Matterhorn Creek and Nellie Creek not far from the trailheads but I will be able to comment better Monday.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.