Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

San Juans: Burgers & Pizza??

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

San Juans: Burgers & Pizza??

Postby herdbull » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:05 am

I'm going to be heading back out in a few weeks and will be hanging around the San Juans. While I can never pass up a great burger or pizza I just don't know where I might find either.

I'm looking for either, both, or other? in Lake City and possible Ouray. If there's another place in the surrounding area you might recommend that would be good to know too. I've also been known to inhale a good omelette or 2. Why does spell check always flag omelette??? :-k

I struck gold in Leadville at High Mtn Pies and I'm looking for something similar. Pizza makes great left-over summit food :D

Re: San Juans: Burgers & Pizza??

Postby George Kaplan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:56 am

Maggie's Kitchen along the main drag in Ouray has pretty darn delicious burgers! The only downside is no beer served there, but there's a pub or two right across the street! :)

Postby lpyle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 am

In Lake City, Poker Alice and the Cannibal Grill are pretty good.
"I believe that if you set out on an adventure and you're absolutely convinced you are going to be successful, why bother starting?"
- Sir Edmund Hillary

Postby highplaces » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:37 am

Avalanche Cafe in Silverton. I inhaled a pizza there one night after a week backpacking in the San Juans. Quite tasty.

Postby blazebo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am

Bonton in Ouray. some of the best italian outside of NY. \:D/
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 am

+1 for the Cannibal Grill. It's no-frills, but does the job.
Personally, I have had only overpriced, subpar pizza at Poker Alice (two tries) and would not recommend it.

Mario's Pizza in Gunnison has fantastic pies. It's not fancy-pants like Amica's, but offers straight-up goodness. It's one of my faves in any mountain range.
I hear Colorado Boy brewery in Ridgway has good pizza, too--hoping to try it out next weekend.
What's the surrounding area? If it includes Durango, Home Slice Pizza is a winner, for sure, and the pies at Steamworks brewery are solid.
If in Telluride, you can't go wrong with the Brown Dog.

Thanks for reminding me about High Mt Pies in Leadville. I've been meaning to check it out.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby thespoonybard » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 am

Matt wrote:If in Telluride, you can't go wrong with the Brown Dog.

Get the "Detroit Style" Pizza at Brown Dog. You will remember it for the rest of your life (ish)!

DSC05088 (resized) (400x300).jpg
Slices of Heaven...
DSC05088 (resized) (400x300).jpg (119.05 KiB) Viewed 306 times
"The mountains are calling...and I must go" - John Muir
"all your base are belong to us"

Postby aussie56 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 am

520 Burgers in Ridgway was pretty darn good this week and they serve beer

Postby pkripper » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:10 pm

La Pizzeria in Telluride ski village is great if you like European style
pizza.
Southern Vittles in Lake City in my opinion is some of the best food in the San Juan's .

Postby ChrisinAZ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:14 pm

A hearty third for the Cannibal Grill in Lake City--good eatins for comparatively reasonable prices, and friendly locals to boot. Not to mention they were literally the ONLY restaurant open in town before Memorial Day! Poker Alice was decent, I'd eat there again but it wasn't a favorite. Restless Spirits saloon might have decent drinks (I don't know, personally) but the food was overpriced and portions were tiny. Do not recommend.

Silverton--pretty good BBQ place on the main drag (it's the one with the pink car parked outside), don't remember the name. There's also a passable cafeteria-type place one street south of said road.

Creede--Kip's grill was the only place I stopped at, and I thought it was reasonably good. My hiking partner found the food to be too salty though, so take from that what you will.

Gunnison--there's a freaking awesome Mexican place right off the main drag called El Paraiso, can't recommend it enough. I've had great food and great service both times I've been there. The local pizza place on the other end of town wasn't that good--you might as well go to the nearby Pizza Hut instead.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby MtnHund » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:56 am

+1 for the Silverton's Avalanche Cafe! Any time we're in the area, we make it a point to visit there!

Also, for great pub food and beer, the happy hour at O'Brien's Pub in Ouray can't be beat.
The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world - any dog - Daniel Tosh

Postby herdbull » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info here. Looks like I have no need to bring any food along :D