Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

My Last Few Hikes

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

My Last Few Hikes

Postby Toni Marie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Hey all! So I'm moving to California with the military in just 14 days. While I'm excited to experience new things, I'm a little sad about leaving this wonderful state. :-(

This weekend I'm hiking Mt. Elbert and was wondering about how long it takes to summit from the trail head. I'm taking a friend to introduce him to the addiction, and he's in pretty good shape. There is a 40% of storms in the afternoon, so I'm trying to gauge when we should start our hike. We're driving to Leadville Saturday night, and hiking Sunday morning. 4am sound reasonable?

My last weekend here I'll be doing one last high-elevation hike with my best friend. Aside from Quandary, any good recommendations in the Breckenridge area? I've heard Silverheels is a wonderful and scenic hike. But I'm open to any suggestions!

Happy trails, everyone!
Toni Marie
"I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky. The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullaby. Rocky Mountain High, Colorado."

Re: My Last Few Hikes

Postby jaymz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:42 pm

4am sounds more than reasonable. Looking at your peak list, Elbert is going to be pretty comparable to a lot of what you've done. 4am gives you about 7-8 hours to get to the summit and be well on your way to treeline by the afternoon. That seems to be an excessive amount of time, but if you don't mind the 4am start, it's better to have more time than you need instead of needing more time than you have.
I'll defer the Breck area question to those more in-the-know.
Have fun and enjoy CO while you can!