Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping in Lake City / Campfires allowed at trailheads?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping in Lake City / Campfires allowed at trailheads?

Postby 14er_Crazy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:37 pm

A couple of friends and I are looking to use Lake City as a base for doing Handies, Sunshine, Redcloud, and Uncompahgre over 3 days in late August before moving on to Sneffels. We'd like to camp somewhere where we can have a campfire. Moving from trailhead to trailhead seems best, but don't know if we can have campfires at the TH.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I'm not against staying in a hotel, so does anyone know of a good cheap place around Lake City if camping is out?

Thanks in advance!
Nausea at altitude, bad knees coming down, high winds, snow, gropple, the occasional thunderstorm and lightning... MAN, I love 14ers!

Re: Camping in Lake City / Campfires allowed at trailheads?

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:57 pm

All of the trailheads for those peaks have roadside campsites. Fire restrictions for that area were all ended recently, so campfires should be OK.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby sad2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:20 pm

14er_Crazy wrote:A couple of friends and I are looking to use Lake City as a base for doing Handies, Sunshine, Redcloud, and Uncompahgre over 3 days in late August before moving on to Sneffels. We'd like to camp somewhere where we can have a campfire. Moving from trailhead to trailhead seems best, but don't know if we can have campfires at the TH.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I'm not against staying in a hotel, so does anyone know of a good cheap place around Lake City if camping is out?

Thanks in advance!

Ravens Rest Hostel in Lake City is a good base camp if you decide not to camp.

Postby 14er_Crazy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Jim Davies wrote:All of the trailheads for those peaks have roadside campsites. Fire restrictions for that area were all ended recently, so campfires should be OK.

Why were restrictions recently lifted? Is it wetter in August than July in the part of the state? I figure it would be drier. Just curious.
Nausea at altitude, bad knees coming down, high winds, snow, gropple, the occasional thunderstorm and lightning... MAN, I love 14ers!

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:33 pm

We have finally entered our summer Monsoonal pattern and a lot of counties have lifted their bans, not all counties.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby climbing_rob » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:35 pm

14er_Crazy wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:All of the trailheads for those peaks have roadside campsites. Fire restrictions for that area were all ended recently, so campfires should be OK.

Why were restrictions recently lifted? Is it wetter in August than July in the part of the state? I figure it would be drier. Just curious.
Recently it has been nice and wet (some rain nearly every day) over much of the CO mountains, so state-wide restrictions were lifted, and at least some counties bans were lifted. We checked Park and Chaffee counties, both had been lifted and we had nice, safe cozy campfires last weekend.

Nice. Camping w/o a campfire just ain't the same.

Basically, just check the particular county where you are going. I simply googled "park county fire restriction" and got my answer for Park county.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Why lifted? Because it rained virtually every day in July. SJ Ron