Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Jones Pass conditions?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Jones Pass conditions?

Postby Steve Knapp » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Does anyone know if the road over Jones pass is driveable yet? The pass just south of Bobtail Benchmark on the Clear Creek/Grand county line. At 12,450 on the continental divide this pass usually collects a huge cornice and some years does not completely melt out. I have a feeling this year is different. I would like to drive over and down the west side to the Bobtail mine and climb a couple 12ers from there.

Please let me know if you've been in the area and if the snow is gone. Thanks!

Re: Jones Pass conditions?

Postby Steve Knapp » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Also, does anyone know if there is a gate on the west side of the pass? On the Trails Illustrated map it looks like you can drive down the west side, but I found this post http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/jones-pass-update-t48049.html from a few years ago indicating otherwise.

Postby highcountryhiker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:52 pm

We were in the vicinity of Jones Pass three weeks ago and from a distance saw two vehicles at the top of the pass. All of the road that we could see from our vantage point appeared to be clear of snow. Maybe someone else can address whether or not there is a gate on the west side.

Postby ClimbandMine » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:53 pm

The pass is clear of snow, but yes, if memory serves right there is a gate just over the summit.
I don't care that you Tele.

Postby ETA » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:30 pm

It's clear over the pass, you can drive about three miles down the other side to where it's gated. The road is in good condition, though rain can change that quickly.
3 or 4 miles, can't be much further than that.