Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bison Pk area backpack info request

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Bison Pk area backpack info request

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Sooooooo after hearing all the hype about the fabled LCW my wife and I are headed into the area next weekend. I pushed for a weekend full of 13ers but that was quickly vetoed as peakbaging is not her idea of a nice relaxing weekend. This is the only weekend this summer she is able to go camping, so I thought this would be a great area.

Our goal will be to hike in on Fri night, summit Saturday, and then leisurely make our way out on Sunday. We do not need to make it all the way that night and would prefer to find a great spot somewhere in the middle with enough daylight left to setup camp.

Does anyone have any specific campsites that worked great for them and from what TH?

My main goal for this trip is exploring an amazing area without making it not fun for my wife. Please don't get me wrong, she is a badass with 16 14ers including Kelso Ridge, Longs, East Ridge of Bierstadt, Sawtooth, but checking off lists while punishing yourself is NOT her idea of a great way to spend a weekend in the mountains.

Thanks so much in advance for any LCW info, Bison isnt even a requirement if you think there is something else that will suit our needs :D

Re: Bison Pk area backpack info request

Postby jsdratm » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:34 pm

I've done Bison Peak and the trail slightly east that goes up to McCurdy Peak (sp?) and both were really cool. It would make a nice loop if you camped between Bison and McCurdy and summit one or both of them on Saturday. I saw a herd of elk and a herd of bighorns the last time I was up there, plus there were hardly any people.

Re: Bison Pk area backpack info request

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:47 pm

There are some good campsites about two miles in from the Ute Creek TH, but not much after that (at least with any water). You could camp at the point you hit the first ridge at about 3 miles, or at Bison Pass, ~4 miles in, but bring enough water for the next day.

As far as I know there's no water between Bison and McCurdy.

I'm not familiar with the Lost Park approach to Bison, which might have better camping options.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.