Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Guanella Pass Road conditions for a MINI Cooper?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Guanella Pass Road conditions for a MINI Cooper?

Postby Marty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi all,

I will be traversing across Guanella Pass on Saturday and wondering if I need to take my Jeep rather than my MINI. I haven't been up there in a while - can anyone who has been up there lately give me some advice? I'd rather get the good gas mileage but not if I will spend the whole drive creeping around potholes.

Thanks!!
Marty
There is no finish line.

Re: Guanella Pass Road conditions for a MINI Cooper?

Postby SeracZack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Paved all the way.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby GregMiller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:30 pm

SeracZack wrote:Paved all the way.

Did they pave it all down the other side? Last summer it was poor pavement and then dirt on the other side, a little washboarded. The mini would be fine, but probably not comfortable.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:31 pm

It's not paved all the way (as of 10 days ago), though the dirt miles on the Grant side should not a problem for a Mini Cooper. Just a little wash-boardy.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby SeracZack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:55 pm

RJansen77 wrote:

It's not paved all the way (as of 10 days ago), though the dirt miles on the Grant side should not a problem for a Mini Cooper. Just a little wash-boardy.

Didn't consider the Grant side. Georgetown side is nice though.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby Mtn Geek » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:54 pm

It's paved on the Georgetown side? When did they do this? Last time I was up there it was freshly rocked and the rocks/dirt was better then the first few miles of the pot holes in the pavement.

Postby jaymz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:07 pm

Mtn Geek wrote:It's paved on the Georgetown side? When did they do this? Last time I was up there it was freshly rocked and the rocks/dirt was better then the first few miles of the pot holes in the pavement.

The Georgetown side is now a much smoother ride than most Denver streets.

Postby ThuChad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:11 am

Smooth as a baby's bottom all the way from Georgetown to the GP trailhead yesterday. Better than any street in Georgetown. There was a smal rockslide near the bottom but nothing that impeded traffic.

Postby Marty » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:09 am

Sa-WEET!!!! I knew there was some roadwork going on up there this year, but didn't realize they repaved it from Georgetown. Many, many thanks for the responses - you all rock!

Marty
There is no finish line.