Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Greyhound Bus at Kite Lake

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Greyhound Bus at Kite Lake

Postby Mtn Geek » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Nope, don't believe it, the photo's were obviously photoshopped! [-(

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:57 am

Classic photos. Thanks for posting. I love interesting moments like this. My first two thoughts were:

1) When I took a very young nephew up Antero for his 1st 14er summit and after he put in a very respectable effort in good style, we ran into a 16 passenger church van at the 13,600 parking spot filled with a sweatshirt and jean wearing church youth group. I sensed the kid felt a bit self conscious about the helmet and appropriate outdoor clothing I clad him in. Of course it was overkill for the objective, but it was used to teach him the craft. I still hope the contrast didn't spoil his feeling of accomplishment and respect for the mountains.

2) I also wonder what the dynamic would be if it was early November and the local bird hunters equipped with dogs and shotguns showed up. It happens ever year around Kite Lake. I suspect there would be some nervous chaperones.

The photos bring up the point that 14ers are undoubtedly becoming increasingly populated and commercialized. I have taken to the opinion that it is inevitable and chose to view the trend as a positive. I think, as default ambassadors to these amazing places, our job is to educate and cultivate ethics of respect and conservation. Though perhaps only 10% of a tour bus population will ever return to a 14er, they will all be eligible to vote or make decisions for voters one day.

On the contrary point, this is one of the reasons that I increasingly find myself far away from 14ers in the summer months. A choice we are fortunate to have.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby 14erFred » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:51 am

Mtn Geek wrote:Nope, don't believe it, the photo's were obviously photoshopped! [-(

Oh ye of little faith. As my friends and I were descending the west slopes of Bross, we too refused to believe our eyes. I kept snapping photos of the bus as we descended, for fear that it would depart from the trailhead before we reached it. For all disbelievers, here are three more shots of the bus taken during our descent to Kite Lake. I too would never have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes.
Greyhound6.jpg
Greyhound6.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Greyhound7.jpg
Greyhound7.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Greyhound8.jpg
Greyhound8.jpg (58.36 KiB) Viewed 318 times
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby nkan02 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:20 am

I cannot believe they made those switchbacks on a bus. :shock: The last few (just before the Kite lake) seemed to be a bit too tight even for my Subaru...
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby kbmiller » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am

Should have driven this one. Anyone want to head to Lake Como?

[img]
monstertruck3.jpg
monstertruck3.jpg (101.5 KiB) Viewed 285 times
[img]

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:47 am

I was really hoping this was the news footage for this event...

Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby MtHurd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:51 pm

At least if that yellow bus got lost on HC they'd be able to find it rather easily. Unless it disappeared into the Burmuda Triangle.

Previous