Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Greyhound Bus at Kite Lake

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Greyhound Bus at Kite Lake

Postby 14erFred » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:44 pm

One of the oddest things I've ever seen on a Colorado 14er occurred during a recent ascent of the Decalibron (Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, & Bross) on July 20, 2012. As my friends and I returned to the 12,000-foot trailhead at Kite Lake, we came across a full-sized Greyhound Bus whose driver had coaxed the vehicle all the way to the end of the road (see attached photos). He was ferrying a group of 30 teens to and from Wisconsin, and was waiting for them to return to the bus for the drive back home. Never a dull moment on the 14ers. Did anyone else see this amazing site at Kite Lake on July 20th?
Greyhound1.JPG
Greyhound1.JPG (64.48 KiB) Viewed 874 times

Greyhound2.JPG
Greyhound2.JPG (64.46 KiB) Viewed 874 times

Greyhound3.JPG
Greyhound3.JPG (67.6 KiB) Viewed 874 times
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Re: Greyhound Bus at Kite Lake

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Driving. To Colorado and back, from Wisconsin. Just for DeCaLiBron?
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Before it left the Denver sign changed to "Como Lake".

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 pm

That's some good driving. Or really bad driving. :wft:
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Good thing it the driver didn't try to get it up Mt. Cameron.

Postby Rarefied » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Finally! Confirming evidence! \:D/ About four years ago I was driving down Weston Pass (Park County side) after having climbed Weston Peak. I was about a third of the way down when all of a sudden a bus just like that one came out of a blind curve (fortunately before I had entered the curve) heading up toward the pass! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! :shock: And it had more speed going up than I was using going down! I found a very small pullout and edged over as far I dare .... and waited. And just a few seconds later the ground shook a bit as it passed. I then looked in my rear view mirror to see if what I saw behind me actually matched what I had just seen looking forward -- and it did! :wft: (The whole thing happened so fast I never stood a chance of digging out my camera.)

I subsequently mentioned it to just a few folks and, to a person, they all told me they believed me. But I always wondered if this wasn't going on when I wasn't looking ----> :roll: But now another Greyhound has been seen -- and photographed -- at an even higher elevation. Who knew bus vindication could feel so good! :D (But the thing is I still have no idea what its intended destination was. Maybe it was an attempt to take a shortcut to Leadville? :-k )

R

Postby 14erFred » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:49 pm

RJansen77 wrote:Driving. To Colorado and back, from Wisconsin. Just for DeCaLiBron?

RJ: The bus driver told us he had driven the kids to a church camp near Divide, where they stayed for several weeks. The culmination of their summer trip was the Decalibron, after which he planned to drive them back to Wisconsin. While driving back down the road, he got the bus hung-up on the first switchback below Kite Lake. He had the kids pile out of the bus, backed it up, and then came at the turn a second time successfully. We drove around him at that point and never looked back. As Rarefied noted, I don't think anyone would have believed I saw a Greyhound bus at Kite Lake unless I had photographic evidence.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:00 pm

14erFred wrote:
RJansen77 wrote:Driving. To Colorado and back, from Wisconsin. Just for DeCaLiBron?

RJ: The bus driver told us he had driven the kids to a church camp near Divide, where they stayed for several weeks. The culmination of their summer trip was the Decalibron, after which he planned to drive them back to Wisconsin. While driving back down the road, he got the bus hung-up on the first switchback below Kite Lake. He had the kids pile out of the bus, backed it up, and then came at the turn a second time successfully. We drove around him at that point and never looked back. As Rarefied noted, I don't think anyone would have believed I saw a Greyhound bus at Kite Lake unless I had photographic evidence.

Ah, that makes more sense. If you're driving to Colorado from that far I hope you'd do more than just DeCaLiBron. Hopefully they got it down without any additional problems!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Rarefied wrote: (But the thing is I still have no idea what its intended destination was. Maybe it was an attempt to take a shortcut to Leadville? :-k )

Well, Heck. Why not take Mosquito Pass?

rocky_road.jpg
rocky_road.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 530 times

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=41

I've wanted to drive over Mosquito. Maybe I should go Grayhound and leave the driving up to them. :lol:
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby Rarefied » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:11 pm

I did consider turning around and going back up to see what the hell this was all about. But I quickly nixed that notion as it was possible that it, too, had turned around at the top of the pass (there was ample room) and then would be charging downhill at me! And that would be even more intimidating than the uphill version I had just experienced! So I stayed my course of heading down -- and checking my rear view mirror so many times that I probably started to wear it out!

14erFred: Thank you! It has been a long four years! :bow:

Mel McKinney wrote:Maybe I should go Grayhound and leave the driving up to them. :lol:

I like!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

R

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:20 pm

They're not called "Trailways" for nothing.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:29 pm

14erFred wrote:The bus driver told us he had driven the kids to a church camp near Divide, where they stayed for several weeks.

Hmmm, wonder if they were at the Mennonite camp on the Crags road? We once encountered a semi going up that road, so a bus should be able to make it.

A few weeks ago, I drove up to the Hancock town site above St Elmo to hike the Alpine Tunnel. Near the end of the 2WD road, there were about 10 school busses (with the school name taped over). A guy next to one said they were from an adventure-camp operation in Buena Vista, and that they were hauling their clients up there to do a few days of backpacking. Fortunately, I didn't encounter their group on the trail, as it must have been enormous.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Next