Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CP Wilderness Require Permits?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

CP Wilderness Require Permits?

Postby chrismjx » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm planning a week-long backpacker in 2 weeks in the Pine Creek drainage area of the Collegiate Peaks wilderness. Does anyone know if I need any permits for this area? Anyone know what the fire situation is in that area?

I don't know what my malfunction is today, but I couldn't seem to find the number for the Ranger Station in the area, so I'm hoping someone here can help... :mrgreen:

Re: CP Wilderness Require Permits?

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Not sure about the permits thing but google came up with this page with the phone numbers for the all the ranger districts within the CP Wilderness at the bottom:

http://www.coloradowilderness.com/wildpages/collegiate.html

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:41 pm

The only permits needed in CO wilderness areas, that I know of at least (and I've BP'd in tons of them over the decades and recently) are self-service ones a some trailheads, basically there to monitor usage. Don't worry about permits in CO except in national parks, where you do generally need them for overnight backcountry camping.

Postby dpage » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:39 pm

climbing_rob wrote:The only permits needed in CO wilderness areas, that I know of at least (and I've BP'd in tons of them over the decades and recently) are self-service ones a some trailheads, basically there to monitor usage. Don't worry about permits in CO except in national parks, where you do generally need them for overnight backcountry camping.

Not that the question was about IPW but I think it requires permits during certain months because of the number of people using that area.

Postby chrismjx » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:58 pm

dpage wrote:
climbing_rob wrote:The only permits needed in CO wilderness areas, that I know of at least (and I've BP'd in tons of them over the decades and recently) are self-service ones a some trailheads, basically there to monitor usage. Don't worry about permits in CO except in national parks, where you do generally need them for overnight backcountry camping.

Not that the question was about IPW but I think it requires permits during certain months because of the number of people using that area.

That's probably why I have the idea, because I was camping around Cascade Falls last summer and had to have a permit... Thanks everyone! =D>

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:03 pm

dpage wrote:Not that the question was about IPW but I think it requires permits during certain months because of the number of people using that area.
Woops! Yep, of course, the IPW. Sorry for my over-generalization, but I've never seen any requirements for the CP wilderness (nor any others I can think of). thanks for the correction.

Postby chrismjx » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:05 pm

If anyone else is interested, I found a KMZ file that shows the Ranger Districts on this site: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/gis/datasets_unit.shtml