Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Usually don’t need camping advice, now I do

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Usually don’t need camping advice, now I do

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:55 am

So my company party is in Ouray this year and my gf and I were going to camp at the Ridgeway state park close to the river and fly fish but it would be $35.00 once all fees are paid. That seems a bit steep so I need to get something else locked up. Here is the kicker, we will be driving her ford focus and that is where I am having a hard time. I have a burly SUV and a dirtbike so camping is never an issue, but access to a cool camp with a little 2WD I need some help. Any advice? Near Ouray or between Ouray and Ridgeway. THx in advance.

Re: Usually don’t need camping advice, now I do

Postby jblyth » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:11 am

There are some spots off co road 7 off the Dallas Divide near Ridgway.

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:15 am

The National Forest Service has a few paid campgrounds right outside of Ouray, my favorite of which is the Amphitheater Campground. It's above Ouray on the way up or down Red Mountain Pass. There are one or two more along the road to Yankee Boy Basin before it turns nasty.

I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with free dispersed sites in the area, so I hope someone else chimes in.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby bob863 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 am

before you get to Ridgeway State Park (going south on US 550 from Montrose) there is Billy Creek SWA which allows (free) dispersed camping. I belive you can get to some of the campsites with a 2WD vehicle. Here's a web site which describes all of CO's SWA's...

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/Brochure/StateWildlifeAreas.pdf

you can also get a printable map of the Billy Creek SWA here...

http://wildlife.state.co.us/LandWater/StateWildlifeAreas/Pages/swa.aspx

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:49 am

wow, lots of great info, thx guys. I also received a PM and Owl Creek pass has disperesed campsites with awesome views and great fishing close to silver jack.

Postby jblyth » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 am

SurfNTurf wrote:The National Forest Service has a few paid campgrounds right outside of Ouray, my favorite of which is the Amphitheater Campground. It's above Ouray on the way up or down Red Mountain Pass.

+1 on the Amphitheater Campground if you don't mind paid sites.

Postby jblyth » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:52 am

GeorgiaTyler wrote:wow, lots of great info, thx guys. I also received a PM and Owl Creek pass has disperesed campsites with awesome views and great fishing close to silver jack.

Also a beautiful area....if you have time, do the hike up Courthouse Mountain, a fun 12er.

Postby MtHurd » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:22 pm

jblyth17 wrote:
GeorgiaTyler wrote:wow, lots of great info, thx guys. I also received a PM and Owl Creek pass has disperesed campsites with awesome views and great fishing close to silver jack.

Also a beautiful area....if you have time, do the hike up Courthouse Mountain, a fun 12er.

Gunna be a little rough with a Focus.

Postby Presto » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:26 pm

by Barry Raven » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Gunna be a little rough with a Focus.

Not for the Owl Creek Road ... or are you merely speaking for the branch-off road to do Courthouse?
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:21 pm

must be to the climb, because i read some more on Owl Creek pass and it should be an easy 2wd ride.

Postby MtHurd » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:26 pm

GeorgiaTyler wrote:must be to the climb, because i read some more on Owl Creek pass and it should be an easy 2wd ride.

I was in a Jeep so I wasn't paying too much attention, but I think the road gets rough after you make the turn after Owl Creek Pass.