Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Clear Creek Rd

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Clear Creek Rd

Postby mcphats » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:54 am

I've searched a bunch, but have not found the answers I'm looking for.

Are there any established campgrounds with a fire ring heading up from clear creek reservoir to Winfield? I am correct that this is the San Isabel National Forest? I checked their website and it says they are under stage 1 fire restrictions. Can anyone confirm?

Wanna go down there to camp and hike, but I'd like to have a fire.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Clear Creek Rd

Postby tmathews » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:10 am

mcphats wrote:I've searched a bunch, but have not found the answers I'm looking for.

Are there any established campgrounds with a fire ring heading up from clear creek reservoir to Winfield? I am correct that this is the San Isabel National Forest? I checked their website and it says they are under stage 1 fire restrictions. Can anyone confirm?

Wanna go down there to camp and hike, but I'd like to have a fire.

Thanks for the help.

Just FYI -- Stage 1 restrictions prohibit fires in fire rings. Fire rings are not not the same as permanent (metal, like this) fire pits or grates, which are allowed to have fires. Mostly, you would find the permanent fire pits or grates at campsites you pay at. There are places along the road to Winfield with fire rings, but I don't recall seeing any with a permanent fire pit.

Postby herdbull » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:39 pm

as stated above you'll need the actual fire ring/pit not just a rock one. I would check back on the fire restrictions right before you head out though. They change quite a bit.

I spent a ton of time in that area a few weeks ago so I know it well. PM if you have specific questions. Honestly your best bet for camping is right at the west end of the res 2 miles from the hwy. The free campground is pretty decent plus it has a nice new toilet and yes, it's free.

Postby mcphats » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:31 am

Yeah, I meant the metal permanent fire ring you see in pay for campgrounds. I guess I just said it wrong. What National Forest does that Clear Creek Rd fall in so I can check with them on restrictions?

Thanks

Postby tmathews » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:35 am

mcphats wrote:Yeah, I meant the metal permanent fire ring you see in pay for campgrounds. I guess I just said it wrong. What National Forest does that Clear Creek Rd fall in so I can check with them on restrictions?

Thanks

It's Pike/San Isabel. They lifted all restrictions on 7/31, though. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTFxdjAwjQL8h2VAQAlu7VZA!!/?ss=110212&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003753&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&ttype=alerts&pname=Pike%20and%20San%20Isabel%20National%20Forests,%20Cimarron%20and%20Comanche%20National%20Grasslands-%20Alerts%20&%20Notices

Postby blazebo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

Check with the local county. County regs OVER-RULE the forest service on fire restrictions. most are gone or back to stage 1. chaffee is currently none, douglas is stage 1 still. not sure about Park county.
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby tmathews » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:11 pm

True. The area around Clear Creek Road is in Lake County.

Postby 434stonemill » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:51 pm

Clear Creek Rd is actually in Chaffee County and the lands on both sides of the road are in Chaffee County. The county line between Lake and Chaffee is basically just south of 82. Hope Pass would be considered in Chaffee. As Chaffee County and Park/San Isabel Nat Forest have lifted their fire restrictions, a campfire would be allowed in any of the dispersed camping sites along Clear Creek Rd.

A good site listing all restrictions in the state, both county and Nat Forest
http://www.coemergency.com/p/fire-bans-danger.html
Note: the site is up to date in their listings below the map, but the map itself is not up to date.