Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hwy 24 washed out near Tennessee Pass

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Hwy 24 washed out near Tennessee Pass

Postby Monster5 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:05 am

Repairing it is fairly simple (though costly) and they have plenty of available equipment/contractors with all of the subsidence cases in Tri-Towns, NE Colorado Springs, and the Western Slope. The hard part of repairing a sinkhole is in limiting grout loss into the tunnel with groundwater controls, a grout sock/high density slurry, and fill. The sinkhole probably will keep getting bigger - up to about 35 degrees from vertical above the void - with the high water flow in the tunnel until they seal it off.

The time and road closures likely have more to do with figuring out the extent and presence of other voids and subsidence features, and limiting future propagation through groundwater de-watering efforts and etc. Finding some of those voids via boreholes can be problematic and expensive. Imagine dropping a few jalapenos into the cake batter and then trying to find those jalapenos with toothpicks (costing $100 each) once baked. Surface geophysics (magic/voodoo) is limited and expensive in this sort of case too. Fortunately, they probably have accurate maps on the exact tunnel alignment and can easily locate the hazardous zone and further exploration.

Sorry. I never get to talk about my thesis - mine subsidence. So there. Take that.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby Sgt_Wilky » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 am

Monster5 wrote:Repairing it is fairly simple (though costly) and they have plenty of available equipment/contractors with all of the subsidence cases in Tri-Towns, NE Colorado Springs, and the Western Slope. The hard part of repairing a sinkhole is in limiting grout loss into the tunnel with groundwater controls, a grout sock/high density slurry, and fill. The sinkhole probably will keep getting bigger - up to about 35 degrees from vertical above the void - with the high water flow in the tunnel until they seal it off.

The time and road closures likely have more to do with figuring out the extent and presence of other voids and subsidence features, and limiting future propagation through groundwater de-watering efforts and etc. Finding some of those voids via boreholes can be problematic and expensive. Imagine dropping a few jalapenos into the cake batter and then trying to find those jalapenos with toothpicks (costing $100 each) once baked. Surface geophysics (magic/voodoo) is limited and expensive in this sort of case too. Fortunately, they probably have accurate maps on the exact tunnel alignment and can easily locate the hazardous zone and further exploration.

Sorry. I never get to talk about my thesis - mine subsidence. So there. Take that.

:-k =D>
"The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end" -Genghis Khan

"I sat on top and was immediately addicted. I must do more of this." -SuperPolok

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." -Jean Paul Richter

Postby colokeith » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 am

colokeith wrote:I am supposed to stay at the continental divide cabin (10th mtn division hut) Monday & Tuesday nights. This is accessed from 24 / Tennessee pass road. Anyone know if this is accessible? Perhaps from Wurtz ditch road near Camp Hale?

I contacted CDOT according to them the actual closure is a small area at mile marker 165. The Tennessee pass trailhead for colorado trail is not affected
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby peter303 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Postby tmathews » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 am

Postby wizzer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:27 pm

current status? Are both directions open?? Can i get from leadville to Tigiwon rd late at night w/o northbound closures?

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:37 pm

wizzer wrote:current status? Are both directions open?? Can i get from leadville to Tigiwon rd late at night w/o northbound closures?

Right now, there is one lane open. They probably have a traffic light set up. There can be delays up to 10-15 minutes.

Looks like it's expected to fully open tomorrow by 7:00 PM, though. http://cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm?type=alert&id=146299

Postby wizzer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 pm

awesome, thanks.

Postby lwnichols » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:04 am

Is Hwy 24 still closed? ..oops. Didn't see the most recent posts. ...NEVER MIND. :oops:

Previous