Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Hwy 24 washed out near Tennessee Pass

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc. Trailhead Info/Status Reports

Re: Hwy 24 washed out near Tennessee Pass

Postby tmathews » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:50 pm

RJansen77 wrote:I am hoping to head up to Holy Cross next weekend. As I haven't been there before, does anyone know which side of the closure the Tigiwon Road turnoff is on? Still alright to take I-70 straight to highway 24?

You'll still be able to take I-70 straight to Hwy 24. Anyone going through Leadville will have to take Hwy 91 north to I-70, then pick up Hwy 24 at Minturn.

Postby screefieldstevie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:33 pm

What about Homesteak Rd?? Vail or Leadville???

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:38 pm

It sounds like it's pretty close to the top of Tennessee Pass. The topo map shows two parallel tunnels going under the pass, and the 7News story implies that it's the eastern one (the one that doesn't connect to the railroad anymore).
TennesseePass.jpg
TennesseePass.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Mel McKinney » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:44 pm

screefieldstevie wrote:What about Homesteak Rd?? Vail or Leadville???

Hi Stevie,
I'd go from the Vail side. Homestake Rd is just past Red Cliff.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby colokeith » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Lane has reopened a portable traffic signal is beeing installed so that the single lane can be shared.

Postby colokeith » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:49 pm

Removed because article was incorrect

Postby Katherineanne98 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:51 pm

I've gone the last three days without going from Leadville to Vail... a miracle!

Anyone know about access to the TH/parking lot across from Cooper? Seems like it might be a nice time to camp and hike the newly quiet area.

Postby MtHurd » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:23 am

I drove that road last week. Slow driving people won't pull over on that road and let you by.

Postby metalmountain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 am

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31261435/detail.html

Well, this could be inconvenient. Crazy to think the tunnel goes down 100 feet :shock:

*Welp, I suck at reading and just realized someone else posted this already.
Last edited by metalmountain on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby doggler » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:26 am

Barry Raven wrote:I drove that road last week. Slow driving people won't pull over on that road and let you by.

Making the sinkhole a convenient place to "nudge" said drivers.

Postby colokeith » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:15 am

I am supposed to stay at the continental divide cabin (10th mtn division hut) Monday & Tuesday nights. This is accessed from 24 / Tennessee pass road. Anyone know if this is accessible? Perhaps from Wurtz ditch road near Camp Hale?
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 am

They keep changing their minds, it was closed, then it was open, then it was closed... The latest I am hearing is that it is closed indefinitely because they are worried the hole might get bigger. There is no timetable to reopen, I am sure a 100' deep hole takes some time to repair and secure. I think the engineers are still trying to figure out exactly how to repair at this point.

If you are trying to access Tigiwon Road and Mt of the Holy Cross, take I-70 to Minturn and head south on US 24, the road closure is south of Redcliff, so Tigiwon Road remains accessible from Minturn.

To get from Leadville to Vail and vice versa you will have to take CO-91 over Fremont Pass, through Copper and over Vail Pass on I-70.

I am not sure about local access to Homestake or Camp Hale from Vail. Also not sure about access to Tennessee Pass or the roads south of it towards Leadville. There are residences in the area and I am assuming people will be able to access those? The sinkhole is close to Tennessee Pass on the north side of the pass. If you need to get to any points between Leadville and Redcliff, you should probably call CDOT to find out about access.

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20120710/NEWS/120709833/1078&ParentProfile=1062
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

PreviousNext