Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

colony lakes 4wd

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: colony lakes 4wd

Postby metalmountain » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:58 pm

upndown wrote:
metalmountain wrote:... I just think you are doing your vehicle a favor by throwing into the lowest gear possible and not beating the crap out of it. 4wd (especially 4wd low) also gear things down so you don't have to ride your brakes all the way down the road. Which is one of the biggest reason I will throw mine in 4low even when its not needed for traction.
You're 100% correct - no disagreement. And I always drive out in 4wd low - a lot easier on the suspension in addition to the brakes. The only reason I hesitated to put mine into 4wd low this time is last year, it wouldn't go back into 2wd when I was done. Turns out it was a vacuum actuator malfunction, but I had to drive it in 4wd low on dry pavement to get it fixed. I tested it after they fixed it, and it seemed to go in and out just fine, but this was the first time I had to use it since that incident and I was having flashbacks. As it turns out, it worked just fine.

Ahhh makes sense...I had a scare with mine a while back not wanting to get back into 2wd. SCR isn't all that bad in the gran scheme of roads around this state, but there is a reason I take my 4runner up and not may daily driver ;)
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby mountainlover » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:57 pm

I have an AWD SUV with 7.5 in. ground clearance (2001 Lexus RX 300). Would it be a terrible idea to drive my car up this road?

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:12 pm

We got within a mile of the end with our Outback, which has about 8" of clearance. The obstacle is one steep little hill with rocks at the crest, and I'm not willing to crack my oilpan open to save 20 minutes of walking. Had no trouble with the 0.6-mile part - it's just a little rocky, not really all that steep.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby JustinB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:49 pm

I was there yesterday. More than one Subaru in the upper parking lot. I drove my Tacoma and didn't use 4x4 once.

Postby hollamby » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:39 pm

I don't have a picture of it right now at the top, but I drove a ford focus, to the top. Zero scrapes.

Everytime I have been there I see small cars. Now yes you need to drive slow, get out and survey at times (with a small car), maybe move a rock out of the center but you can make it for sure. When I take my F150 zero problem with ground clearance and no need for 4wd unless it is slick.
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby mountainlover » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks everyone! Very helpful information....I think I'll take the plunge and just take my car very slowly up the road.

Postby unclegar » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Was up there last week in my '97 CRV. I had to back up and retry 3X at the area mentioned above. There were several deep holes together at the top of a steep section. On the way back down that day, it had been filled in by someone doing road maintenance. The dirt that they were using was more like sand so I'm not sure it would have been a help to me. With some moisture it may be packed a little by now (or not). The road was much worse this year than previous years that I have gone up, but again they did fill all the holes the next day. With good driving I'm sure it can be done.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Previous