Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yale Car Camping?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Yale Car Camping?

Postby lboyd8298 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:36 am

Anyone know of restrictions in using the parking lot itself? Any free, dispersed car camping near by? Plan on camping at or near the TH this Friday PM and summit on Saturday. Thanks in advance!

Re: Yale Car Camping?

Postby RJansen77 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:40 am

There is nice camping across the road from the Avalanche Gulch trailhead that I used this weekend. It's car camping without designated sites (there were no signs saying "no camping") and a couple other groups were spread out. Right next to the stream which was nice, and just ~3 miles below the Denny Creek trailhead.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby leggaj5 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:59 am

Slept in my car at the Denny Creek TH last weekend. No issues and didn't see any signs prohibiting it.

Postby peter303 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:05 pm

Two forest campgrounds and dispersed camping along that part of Cottonwood Pass. Fills up quickly on weekend nights.

Postby Spoke537 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm

I've car camped at the Avalanche trailhead several times without any problems. There's a rest room there.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage." - Anais Nin

Postby jeffCC » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:52 pm

I camped at Silver Creek TH last Saturday (6/2/12). I was the only one there. From the parking lot, you cross a foot bridge over the creek, walk maybe 100 feet, and on the left you will see a log shelter someone built. Past the shelter are a whole bunch of places where people have camped.

Maybe it's not 100% "car camping", as you do have to carry stuff a ways, but its definitely close enough to easily schlep non-backpacking gear in a few trips. The road in is dirt, but absolutely do-able in a 2wd car. Oh yeah : vault toilets at parking lot.

I haven't done a lot of TH camping (yet !) but I have to say I was impressed by the cleanliness of the camping area. No trash at all outside of the fire rings, and I only had to fish out a minimal amount from those : some aluminum foil and 2 cans. The creek is gorgeous and loud : even at a reasonable distance you get great sleeping music.

While I was cooking dinner, I noticed a hunter a little ways off. He noticed me as well, but didn't say anything. It seemed kinda weird, but he sort of circled around my campsite keeping his distance and ended up on the other side, behind where I pitched my tent. When I finished cooking, I noticed he was still there. Okay, I have to see whats up. I get up and start walking over towards him, and he just drops the rabbit he was eating and flew away. Friggin' owls !

Postby atbaritone » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 pm

So much free camping all along the Cottonwood Pass road. Take your pick. My buddy slept in his van at the Denny Creek Trailhead a few weeks ago...he was awoken at 3 a.m. by a ranger shining a spotlight in the van windows. My buddy hid...but the ranger didn't get out of his car to check out the situation. Do what you want.
An unsuccessful day climbing is better than a successful day working.--Me.

Postby sjverhaeghe08 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 am

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are planning to do Yale on Monday, but since we're driving from Aspen the night before with a rather tight schedule on Monday, I was wondering about the overnight car situation at Denny Creek TH, in the paved lot. Is there any new information on whether or not it's ok to sleep in the car at the trailhead?

Thanks.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."
Edward Whymper

Postby Fleischco » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:52 pm

We did it last year and we were not alone in car camping there.

Postby onepeakatatime » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:07 pm

I mostly car camp in Colorado and have never had any issues. However, it might be helpful if you bring a sleeping bag and a lightweight tarp for a lean-to. Start up Denny Creek Trail. Just before getting to tree line there is a wonderful open field that is great for camping (on the right side of the creek). That way most of your climb is above tree line, so you can enjoy the great views throughout your summit hike. Enjoy your trip.