Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

3,000 foot rule in question

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Postby jwproulx » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:06 pm

Holy crap! I just read the 14ers.com version of the 3k' rule:

For example, if you climb Grays and then hike over and summit Torreys, you have gained about 3,600 feet and bagged both peaks. If you are intent on gaining 3,000 feet on every peak, Grays and Torreys becomes a completely different task. Hike to the Grays summit, return to the Stevens Gulch trailhead and then start back up to climb Torreys.

Um .... that's not the version I've ever heard before! I've heard the version used by 14ers speed climbers such as Cave Dog:

1. The Colorado Rule:

a) one must ascend at least 3,000 feet in absolute elevation gain on foot from the base of the first peak of a series.
b) foot traverses of less than 3,000 feet are allowed between peaks through traverses.
c) one must descend on foot at least 3,000 feet in absolute elevation loss back to the starting point or end of a traverse.

(From the DogTeam 14ers Rules page; the same idea is described by Roach.)

I wonder how many people on this site that check the "Using the 3k' rule?" box know that it's different than the version Roach cites.

Postby harmfuljays » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:45 am

iceman wrote:I hiked Mt. Sherman last Saturday and met the rudest most hateful woman I have ever met in the back country. I started at the gate. When I got back to my vehicle and was driving home I passed her walking to her car down at the “REAL" 3,000 ascent trailhead. My point being, going by the 3,000 rule does not make you a better person.

:lol: I was on Sherman that day as well.....was this the same lady that kept asking everyone what the elevation was? She had some guy with her who kept saying that all the hikers coming down were annoying.
Up the Irons!

Re: 3,000 foot rule in question

Postby tmathews » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Initiating Thread Necromancy!

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:15 pm

whoop! There it is!

thread necromancer.jpg
thread necromancer.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 651 times
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby k9powerlifter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:35 am

The 3000 foot rule is crap...I'm implementing the 235 rule. A 14'er doesn't count unless you weigh 235 lbs or more; equipment not included so this is a naked weight. Now, if you choose to hike the 14'er naked then it counts at any weight.
When people get scared they call the cops; when cops get scared they call K-9.

Postby jrbren_vt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:04 am

I think this should be simpli
g wrote:
iceman wrote:I hiked Mt. Sherman last Saturday and met the rudest most hateful woman I have ever met in the back country. I started at the gate. When I got back to my vehicle and was driving home I passed her walking to her car down at the “REAL" 3,000 ascent trailhead. My point being, going by the 3,000 rule does not make you a better person.

I would've told her it was recently changed to the 4,000 foot rule. :P

I think it should be relaxed to the 1000 meter rule
Best Regards - John

Previous