Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

3,000 foot rule in question

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Postby Mooney Pilot » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:33 am

Since I'm planning on climbing Antero this weekend, I was giving this some thought before this thread was posted.

Antero has a jeep trail that goes almost all the way to the top. If I drive/ride a jeep withing 1,000 feet of the summit, then hike the rest of the way, have I climbed Antero? I say no.

It's sort of like keeping your own score playing golf and not counting your Mulligans. You can claim that you broke 80, but you're not fooling anybody but yourself.

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:14 am

Mooney Pilot wrote:Since I'm planning on climbing Antero this weekend, I was giving this some thought before this thread was posted.

Antero has a jeep trail that goes almost all the way to the top. If I drive/ride a jeep withing 1,000 feet of the summit, then hike the rest of the way, have I climbed Antero? I say no.

It's sort of like keeping your own score playing golf and not counting your Mulligans. You can claim that you broke 80, but you're not fooling anybody but yourself.

If I ever summit Antero I'm gonna drive as high as I can. Driving Jeep trails is a helluva lot more fun than walkin' up 'em. Frankly, any "climb" that can be driven isn't much of a climb in my book. (Note I have already forfeited my trophy, prize money, and endorsements.)
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby Alan Ellis » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:29 am

Andy wrote: If I ever summit Antero I'm gonna drive as high as I can. Driving Jeep trails is a helluva lot more fun than walkin' up 'em. Frankly, any "climb" that can be driven isn't much of a climb in my book. (Note I have already forfeited my trophy, prize money, and endorsements.)

On a mountain like Antero, it would be a hell of a lot more fun driving a Jeep road than hiking it. Andy, you can have all my trophies, prize money and endorsements. Oh....I'm still looking for my copy of the rule book.
Sack up and climb.

Postby denalibound » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:42 am

GW Duncan wrote:
Anybody have the history of this rule?

I have that in large part its just because that's about where treeline is in most of Colorado = 11,000 ft.

I have read dozens of threads on this subject and I believe one of them states origination of the "rule" stems from setting speed records. When people were racing up 14ers so they could clock the fastest ascent there needed to be a minimum elevation gain set in order to ensure consistancy across the board.

3000' was the minimum elevation gain needed to set a fastest ascent on any given 14er. I also believe there was a stipulation that you had to return to the same point you started from, because timing was based on the round trip. Hence the climbing each peak seperately and gaining 3000'.

Because none of us, well not me anyway, are racing up the 14ers the rule is somewhat moot.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:52 am

"Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race of Life is long.... and in the end it's only with yourself"
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby Randy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:37 pm

To me a little judgement goes a long way. Theres no way in hell's fury, Im walking from god knows where on the Gunella Pass rd to make it 3000ft for Bierstadt that makes no sense to me keep my trophy I still sleep like a baby without the 3000ft. same for Lincoln, I parked at kite lake saw some people walking the road and asked yes they said they where making it 3000ft to each his own, but did they have me by anything? yes they did theydid they got to walk a boring road and maybe they sleep even better then me at night.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:31 pm

For a good discussion of the 3000-foot rule (from the current speed record holder), see this: http://www.thedogteam.com/14ers-Web_Pag ... frame.html
and click on "Rules".

And no, you don't have to return to your starting point under these rules.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Former Michigander » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:32 pm

Excuse my ignorance, and maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but is there really a trophy for climbing all the 14ers? If so, let me just say that I can't wait to get my hands on one. I mean, what better motivation to climb 56 (or whatever the official number is) 14ers than a hunk of plastic (if in fact that's what it's made out of. Now, if it were made of duct tape, they might be on to something) that proclaims, "this dude is a totally awesome climbing guy!" :lol:

Postby Flatland Biker » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:09 pm

I agree! It is a stupid rule. Why not set the mark at 2,000 feet, 1,000 feet or 4,000 feet. If you hike or climb to the top of a 14'er you count it in my book. I guess if you drove your vehicle up Evans or Pikes and got out and hiked or climbed them to the top, I wouldn't count it.

Postby Grant » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:30 pm

man not this again......... :(

Postby MN teleMARKer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:16 pm

This thread has got me laughin :lol:

Truth be told.... Unless you are on a quest to break records, who cares? If you are into the competition of it, stated rules are necessary to keep everybody on a level playing field. Cool too..

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:52 pm

Former Michigander wrote:Excuse my ignorance, and maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but is there really a trophy for climbing all the 14ers? If so, let me just say that I can't wait to get my hands on one. I mean, what better motivation to climb 56 (or whatever the official number is) 14ers than a hunk of plastic (if in fact that's what it's made out of. Now, if it were made of duct tape, they might be on to something) that proclaims, "this dude is a totally awesome climbing guy!" :lol:

We're not talkin' some cheezy plastic deal like you got for getting 27th place in t-ball. This baby is solid gold and jewel encrusted!
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

PreviousNext