Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost Creek Wilderness Conditions

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Lost Creek Wilderness Conditions

Postby Steve Gio » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:18 pm

I was just thinking that the trails and roads down there may be melted enough for a backpacking trip next weekend. Anyone have any information about conditions whether it is accessible.

Re: Lost Creek Wilderness Conditions

Postby randalmartin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:34 pm

I would post your question on backpackinglight.com. Likely a better chance to get feedback on trail conditions I suspect.

Postby MattK » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:00 am

Steve,

We were in the area (just south of Tarryall Reservoir) on Saturday. Anything less than 10000' was dry, especially on south facing slopes,with patchy, ankle deep snow on south facing slopes. I wanted to get a peek at Lost Park Road, but we were running late, so if I had to take a guess, I would think that a person could get pretty far back in there, if not all the way. This next storm may change that, but I think it's only supposed to bring an inch or so to the area.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Postby Jay521 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 am

I was in the Puma Hills (just south of the LCW) on Sunday. Pretty much what Matt said. I would add that north facing slopes had a bit more snow. I was up to my knees in several spots.

Jay
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks guys. Looks like the weather will be good this weekend as well.

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:34 pm

MattK wrote: I wanted to get a peek at Lost Park Road, but we were running late, so if I had to take a guess, I would think that a person could get pretty far back in there, if not all the way.
My recollection is that the FS closes the gate on Lost Park road somewhere after the long-gulch trailhead (at mile 10 or so), despite any snow conditions, and opens it yearly on June 15th. It has been a couple years though since I've tried to head down this road. I always wondered why they did this as the road is passable long before that. Maybe it is to protect the road from ruts.

You might want to call the Pikes NF ranger is you plan on traveling the LP road past mile 10-11 or so. The OP didn't mention the Lost Park road specifically, but since Matt mentioned it, I thought I would.

Postby dsunwall » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I drove up Lost Park road about 1 month ago, at mile 8 or so, don't remember exactly, there was a huge frozen flow across the road, about 100' across. It was sloped enough where I would not dare drive across even at speed, for fear of sliding of road into the creek. I couldn't guess if it would be melted out enough by now or not.

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for the tip on the road closure. Will call the ranger to check it out.

Postby dsunwall » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:44 am

any new info on Lost park road?

Postby ChrisinAZ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:32 am

Made an attempt on Buffalo Peak last weekend. Below ~9000' there was minimal-to-no snow. 9-10000', there was 1-2' of patchy snow, especially in flat and NE-facing areas. Above 10000' is probably not worth it, unless there's a preexisting trench or you're on a south-facing, open slope.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby JE242 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 am

Has anyone been over Hankins Pass recently? IF so, what's the snow situation? I'm thinking about doing the 'short loop' (counter-clockwise) starting today. I know snow will be encountered and am OK with that, however, I'd love to leave the snowshoes @ home.

I'd also thought about the short loop in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness, but imagine there will be more snow to deal with there.

thoughts?

Postby Kevin Baker » Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 am

JE242 wrote:Has anyone been over Hankins Pass recently? IF so, what's the snow situation? I'm thinking about doing the 'short loop' (counter-clockwise) starting today. I know snow will be encountered and am OK with that, however, I'd love to leave the snowshoes @ home.

I'd also thought about the short loop in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness, but imagine there will be more snow to deal with there.

thoughts?

I led a group up McCurdy yesterday and there is far less snow than I thought there would be. We didn't need snowshoes until above McCurdy Park when the trail goes up an east facing aspect. I don't think there's enough to warrant bringing snowshoes for a hike to Hankins Pass, although you'll hve some trail breaking the last couples miles on north facing aspects to the pass.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next