Top 5 tips for Chicago Basin

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Top 5 tips for Chicago Basin

Post by Jim Davies »

So that's where to look? 8)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

forbins_mtn wrote:Is the train really $83? I just briefly checked the site and can't hardly believe that.....
One reason why we packed in from Purgatory. With a group of 5 we saved $500 - more than enough for the post-Chicago Basin party!
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
YEONDERIN
14ers: 50 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by YEONDERIN »

I just got back from CB and it was only $71 if you use the backpacker’s special from Silverton.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

While the train is probably more scenic from Durango, the next time I go to Chi Basin I'm leaving from Silverton. Logistically it makes more sense.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

wildlobo71 wrote:1. Train costs are $100.10 from Durango.

2. Enjoy, don't rush this trip. Drive down the night before; imbibe in Ska, Steamworks, Carver, or any other local facility that serves good beer. Crash for $30 in the awesome Durango Hometown Hostel (2 or more, it's $27 per; 3 or more, $24 per person).

3. Bring a six-pack and stash it in the river at Needleton; this is for the trip back.

4. If you break camp by 8am the morning of your train, go and get the train that is northbound to Silverton at 11:15... go eat lunch in Silverton; catch the train back; or...

5. Take your time out of camp, or bag a morning peak; get down to the river and wait for the 3:35 southbound train with nice cold beer from the river.

6 (bonus) - you'll arrive after 6pm; if you can, go back to the hostel for another night and shower/sleep... take off in the morning.
Brilliant!
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

I just looked at the train's website and there is a backpacker's special going on the rest of the season if you leave from Silverton, $67 for adults and the $10 backpack freight fee is waived:

"Ride out of Silverton and save up to $18 on your train ticket, $10 on your backpack freight fee and park for FREE! This offer is available only by phone! Call 888-872-4607 or 970-387-5416. Book now to ride out of Silverton in a Standard-class car at $67* per adult and $47* per child ticket. *Subject to 6% Historic Preservation Fee. Through the rest of the season, we will also waive the $10 freight fee for your backpack (limit one backpack per ticketed passenger) for passengers departing from Silverton!"

http://www.durangotrain.com/hot-deals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I think the first 1.5 hours of the ride from Durango to Rockwood is pretty blah and not very scenic. I suppose it's more interesting if you haven't ridden the train before. Too many winter excursions to Cascade Canyon under my belt.
Last edited by DurangoJenn on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I'd do that special - I mean Durango is a great town, but if its not part of your priority - save the dough.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Taking the 8:45 am train from Durango, is it conceivable to get a summit (maybe Windom) on that day that you pack into the basin if the weather is good? Or is that too ambitious?
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Lemmiwinks wrote:Taking the 8:45 am train from Durango, is it conceivable to get a summit (maybe Windom) on that day that you pack into the basin if the weather is good? Or is that too ambitious?
Its possible, and this was our initial plan, but after the approach we just wanted to eat and rest. Do not underestimate the approach.

We just woke up at 4:45, and on trail by 5:30 the next day and bagged all four peaks in a row.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

I agree about not underestimating the hike uphill. It turns into a pretty good slog. The last mile or so will drag on forever.
Go get it
evolve
14ers: 17 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Post by evolve »

I haven't figured out the logistics, but when I hiked out to Purgatory from Chi Basin earlier this month I thought about how fun it would be to float the river for the 5 mile stretch from Needle Creek to Cascade.
@cruxology
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Eolus is the most underrated 14er I've done. It's loose and exposed, and I think way harder than it gets credit for. I'm surprised (but glad) there aren't more accidents on it. Go into it focused.