Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Campgrounds around Huron?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Campgrounds around Huron?

Postby Two Headed Boy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Are there any decent campgrounds around Huron? I am with 2 newbies, one from Nebraska and one that is 16. They will not want to camp where there are no restroom facilities, etc. so I was wondering if anyone knew of any campgrounds within 25 miles or so that had facilities (electric not required). Thank you for any help and advice you can give me :D

Re: Campgrounds around Huron?

Postby globreal » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Two Headed Boy wrote:Are there any decent campgrounds around Huron? I am with 2 newbies, one from Nebraska and one that is 16. They will not want to camp where there are no restroom facilities, etc. so I was wondering if anyone knew of any campgrounds within 25 miles or so that had facilities (electric not required). Thank you for any help and advice you can give me :D

You can camp right across Clear Creek at Winfield. It's not an established Forest Service type campground, but they do have two outhouses there. Then you are only about 2 miles from the TH.
Hope this helps.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Two Headed Boy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks! Big help :D

Postby thevagabond » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Lots of dispersed camping along the road as well, you shouldn't have a problem finding a site. I never do.

Postby lwnichols » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 am

globreal wrote:
Two Headed Boy wrote:Are there any decent campgrounds around Huron? I am with 2 newbies, one from Nebraska and one that is 16. They will not want to camp where there are no restroom facilities, etc. so I was wondering if anyone knew of any campgrounds within 25 miles or so that had facilities (electric not required). Thank you for any help and advice you can give me :D

You can camp right across Clear Creek at Winfield. It's not an established Forest Service type campground, but they do have two outhouses there. Then you are only about 2 miles from the TH.
Hope this helps.

**********************************************************************************************************************

I spent three nights at this campground two weeks ago. There are some nice, drive-up campsites here. There are two outhouses (M & F). I recommend you have a supply of TP - they ran out while I was there. I guess they only resupply once (or maybe twice) per week.

Leni

Postby huffy13 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:11 am

Without a doubt, Winfield is the way to go! Great camping area with the vault toilet facilities as a nice addition, but like it is said earlier in the thread, have some extra TP handy. One of my favorite places to camp in the state.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby griddles » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:22 pm

I am just looking for some clarification on where it is okay to camp around Huron and Winfield. I have read other threads that there are plenty of dispersed sites around, but I always get nervous with things like finding a campsite at night. Are the pit toilets located at Winfield or elsewhere along the road? Are these sites marked at all, or is it a 'find a place to park your car and then pitch a tent' policy?

Planning on going up Friday and hope to finish before too many others get going.

Thanks for any other information.