Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tigiwon Road status

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Tigiwon Road status

Postby John Landers » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Unless you are set on Cross Creek, you can also climb Jackson from Beaver Creek village, its actually a little less milage (I think 18.5 RT vs 20 from Cross Creek), not sure on the vertical though, BC village is at 8100', so probably a little lower than Cross Creek TH.

Its a well maintained and relatively flat trail all the way to Turquoise Lakes (7.3 miles), then there was a steep class 2 gully to gain the upper mountain and a talus slope to talus ridge to summit. We also went out and back to PT 13433 behind it, that made the total 21 miles and around 6600' vertical I think? Its an option anyway.[/quote]

The Beaver Creek Village start is a possibility. I have about 14 of the highest 200 left and have some preference for Cross Creek. I was in there a couple of times a dozen or so years ago and had bad weather. Or I can complete a number of the others and go into Cross Creek next June.

Postby Scuba Steve » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:13 am

Other than being "closed" does anyone have any idea when the road will be mostly snow free (or is it already)? I'm thinking I might try to ride my bike in with backpack before the forest service decides that they're going to close it to all traffic. On the bright side, it shouldn't be hard to get a good camping spot once you get to the end of the road. :D

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:29 am

Nitram wrote:
Chicago Transplant wrote:Normal vehicles will need to park around 10,200 where the main forest service road intersects the jeep trail. To get there you drive the main Homestake Road to FS 704, turn right and follow to where it forks at the Missouri/Fancy Lakes trailheads, turn right and follow the road to a small parking area before it meets the jeep trail and hike up the jeep road to the Fall Creek Trail to start your route.

Is the TH is well located on the map (blue flag) ?

Correct, the blue flag marks the parking area to access the Fall Creek trail.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby jimmtman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Chicago Transplant,

I am interested in more info to see if getting Cross Couloir from HC City trailhead is worth trying. I really appreciate the photo you posted. Any idea what the a possible path between Seven Sisters Lakes and Tuhare Lakes is like? Dawson includes this route in his Northern 14er guide. Dawson describes hiking about 4 miles in on the Fall creek trail to 12000 ft elevation near the Seven Sisters Lakes. From here Dawson describes leaving the trail up and left to gain the HC ridge to go to HC summit. I'd like to camp at Bowl of Tears for an early climb up the couloir the next morning. The best route appears to stay on the Fall creek trail a little longer and cut straight over to the Tuhare lakes. Then up the blue path shown in your photo to the ~13k saddle between points 13831 and 13xxx. Then down over the other side to Bowl of Tears. The topo map shows the contours on the downslope into Bowl of Tears to be steeper than that coming up from Tuhare Lakes. Do you (or anyone else) know is that would be a feasible route? If that downslope isn't possible then per Dawson's guide the option is to continue on the HC ridge to an elevation of 13.8+k and then down into Bowl of Tears. It would be a shame to climb to almost 14k with your full pack to get in there - 13k on a scree slope is probably bad enough.

Thanks!

Jim

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Cross Couloir would be a very difficult and time consuming approach from Fall Creek. As you are already postulating, you have to descend into the Bowl of Tears from somewhere along the Halo Ridge. The best bet may end up being to go over 13831 to the 13500 foot saddle before you can find a reasonable descent, possibly having to go all the way to the Teardrop Couloir. From what I remember, the Bowl of Tears Cirque is awfully cliffy in the sections around 13831. Check out the early pics in this trip report, they show the cliffs well! Look at Image 8 to see where I think you may be able to find easier terrain below the 13500 saddle, its the gentler talus slopes on the right side of that image.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9276&parmpeak=Mt.+of+the+Holy+Cross&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

I'm not one to tell people what they should or should not do, and I don't mean what I say below to sound preachy or to sound like I am questioning your abilities. I will leave the decision up to you if you think its worth it to try and get to the Cross this way, but just as a general internet post disclaimer for the general public that will also read this...

I urge anyone thinking of getting into the Bowl of Tears this way to be very cautious as there is a high degree of potential to cliff ones self out by descending too early from the Halo Ridge! There will be no marked route whatsoever to help you find your way, and given HC's rep for getting people lost, only people who have significant experience in off route talus route finding should consider attempting Holy Cross at all this year by ANY route. Expect loose rock and expect to have to scramble at some point. Pay very close attention to how you got up, so you can get back down safely. Keep in mind people get lost all the time on the standard route, and that is a monumentally better marked route than anything you will find from the south side of this peak. Sorry to sound so doom and gloom, I just want people to be safe. Holy Cross will be there next year... I'd like all of you to be here to :D

Postby davebks » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:52 pm

I just saw this post and didn't flip through all the pages so sorry if this is old news. here's an update from the vail daily though. looks like its closed until oct
http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20110622/NEWS/110629951/1078&ParentProfile=1062

Postby tmathews » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:55 pm

davebks wrote:I just saw this post and didn't flip through all the pages so sorry if this is old news. here's an update from the vail daily though. looks like its closed until oct
http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20110622/NEWS/110629951/1078&ParentProfile=1062

Yup, it was posted last night. I also posted the article in a TH status update.

Postby Hacksaw » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Sounds like the access issue of Tigiwon Road, may mean that very few folks will get to climb and get lost on HC this summer...
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby jimmtman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:18 am

Chicago Transplant,

Thanks very much for your reply. I was afraid the way down from Halo ridge to Bowl of Tears is fairly serious. Thanks for pointing me to the trip report on Halo ridge. There are lots of cliffs and loose screen gullies. I think you are right that it would be best to go over pt 13831 and then to the 13500 ft saddle between pt 13831 and HC summit and then down. This way is shown in Dawson's guide as spring route 1.1.3. You are also right in that this would be a long and arduous approach to high 13k and then drop down to 12k to the lake. The next day it would almost make sense to carry the whole kit up to the top so to not have to do close to another 2k of vertical back up from the lake.

Another option is to hike in the 4 miles or so to Seven Sisters Lakes and camp there. The next morning in the dark leave the Fall Cr trail and go up onto the HC ridge. Take the ridge over pf 13831 to the 13500 ft saddle, descend as shown by Dawson and suggested by you toward Bowl of Tears. If possible try to traverse left to intersect the rising traverse to enter the couloir then take it to the top. Ths side of HC is quite steep and cliffy so one may have to get almost down to the lake before able to get onto that traverse. Perhaps even a better option is to take HC ridge to the summit since it is only about 1/2 mile from where you would descend to Bowl of Tears. Then down the couloir to 12740 ft and just above the cliff band, then climb back up the couloir to the top. Going to the top first probably would minimize the chance of getting lost and minimize the vertical to make up by climbing the Cross. Also if conditions in the Cross are poor due to the previous night being too warm one can always skip going down and up the Cross and still have made the top. Interested in your and others thoughts on this approach.

Thanks,

Jim

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:45 am

The one thing that for some reason I haven't even thought about until last night, is that the standard trailhead for Holy Cross (Halfmoon), is not really closed. People really could still climb from Halfmoon Pass, they would just have to either hike/bike the Tigiwon Road (so far that would be allowed) or hike the Fall Creek Pass Trail all the way to the Halfmoon Trailhead, which is its northern terminus. Its still long, and it has a lot of elevation gain on the return, but for people concerned about all the off trail route finding and such, it could make for a nice backpacking option and stick to more established trails. Just something to consider I guess.

Jim, glad to be of help. My concern with the plan of going down the cross, then back up, is that for one, it might be really frozen on your descent, which to me going down hard snow can be a little unnerving if its steep, you would likely need to face in so you can kick toe points in. The second concern is that the time it would take you to descend give the snow more time to soften, and then you might not have good conditions to go back up. I think if your heart is set on the Cross, it probably makes the most sense to drop down and climb it first and then descend on the Halo until you can get back to Tuhare.

Postby Carl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Other than being "closed" does anyone have any idea when the road will be mostly snow free (or is it already)? I'm thinking I might try to ride my bike in with backpack before the forest service decides that they're going to close it to all traffic.

I'm going to venture a guess that it's melted to the TH, based on snowline elsewhere nearby. As of Sunday Holy Cross still looked pretty snowy though. Hoping the skiing is still good July 9/10.

Postby jimmtman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Scuba Steve

Your idea of mtn biking the Tigiwon road is starting to sound more interesting than the HC ridge option. The weekend looks to have decent freezes but tied up - next week looks warm and marginal freezes except for Monday. I'm looking to go the next time there is a good weekday freeze - perhaps Monday.

PreviousNext