Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tigiwon Road status

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Tigiwon Road status

Postby leftyslugger » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Sorry...I didn't mean to come across as "just take it." By all means...fight for our rights. Bill, thanks for the website and all the info.

Postby rockchalker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Per the suggestion, I emailed John Peterson and received the below response. He indicates some type of press release will be issued soon.

Hi Jerry,

The Tigiwon Road was closed through June 20th for a seasonal closure. There will be timber work done in the area around Tigiwon Road related to the Mountain Pine Beetle deadwood. The Tigiwon Road may not open again until mid-October. More information should be available in an upcoming press release.

-John
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Postby anasarca76 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:05 pm

I got pretty much the same response as rockchalker...

Postby John Landers » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:20 pm

I have been planning to do Mt. jackson via Cross Creek, this isn't acceptable. Why can't it be open on the weekend at your own risk (as everything in the mountians is at your own risk)?

Postby rockchalker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:10 pm

I replied to John Peterson's email and said I would check back later in the summer about the status and I received the below response, almost immediately.

"I would wait at least until August for more information about a reopening."
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 am

John Landers wrote:I have been planning to do Mt. jackson via Cross Creek, this isn't acceptable. Why can't it be open on the weekend at your own risk (as everything in the mountians is at your own risk)?

Unless you are set on Cross Creek, you can also climb Jackson from Beaver Creek village, its actually a little less milage (I think 18.5 RT vs 20 from Cross Creek), not sure on the vertical though, BC village is at 8100', so probably a little lower than Cross Creek TH.

Its a well maintained and relatively flat trail all the way to Turquoise Lakes (7.3 miles), then there was a steep class 2 gully to gain the upper mountain and a talus slope to talus ridge to summit. We also went out and back to PT 13433 behind it, that made the total 21 miles and around 6600' vertical I think? Its an option anyway.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Nitram » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi!

I come from Montreal and I want to do a dozen hikes in July, including HC.
If the Tigiwon Rd is closed from July 5th, I’d like to reach the summit from the south ridge, as suggested by Steve (Marmot 72).
Could someone answer these 2 questions :
- How is the South ridge up to HCR? Is it a Class 2 ou 3 Hike?
- Where the TH is exactly ? Can I get easily near Honky Dory Lake with my Honda CRV by Holy Cross City Road ?

Thank You!

I take this opportunity to thank the people who created this site. It’s been a great help to prepare my trip.

Martin

Postby tmathews » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Nitram wrote:Can I get easily near Honky Dory Lake with my Honda CRV by Holy Cross City Road ?

Hunky Dory Lake. [-X :mrgreen:

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi Martin-

The Holy Cross City Road is one of the more notorious 4WD roads in the state, it is not driveable by anything "stock", you would need specialized off road equipment. The last time I hiked the road I saw a guy repairing a broken axle :shock:

Normal vehicles will need to park around 10,200 where the main forest service road intersects the jeep trail. To get there you drive the main Homestake Road to FS 704, turn right and follow to where it forks at the Missouri/Fancy Lakes trailheads, turn right and follow the road to a small parking area before it meets the jeep trail and hike up the jeep road to the Fall Creek Trail to start your route.

The route should be class 2, and its "real" class 2. There will be no trails and no sort of route markings at all above the Tuhare Lakes. Just a big talus face. There is probably some sort of climbers trail to the Tuhare Lakes though, but I have never been to them. The farthest I made it up the trail was Fall Creek Pass (to climb Mt Whitney and PT 13768). Look back a few posts and I posted a picture of the route from PT 13768.

Seems like there is a lot of interest in how this route would work from this area. I'll go through my Fall Creek trail pics and at least get a description that gets people to Fall Creek Pass together with some images.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Nitram » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:Normal vehicles will need to park around 10,200 where the main forest service road intersects the jeep trail. To get there you drive the main Homestake Road to FS 704, turn right and follow to where it forks at the Missouri/Fancy Lakes trailheads, turn right and follow the road to a small parking area before it meets the jeep trail and hike up the jeep road to the Fall Creek Trail to start your route.

Is the TH is well located on the map (blue flag) ?
Attachments
TH.jpg
TH to HC via South Ridge ?
TH.jpg (188.75 KiB) Viewed 882 times

Postby turntable » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Postby tmathews » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:59 pm

turntable wrote:http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20110622/NEWS/110629951/1078&ParentProfile=1062

There's our press release, I guess. :-s #-o

PreviousNext