Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tigiwon Road status

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Tigiwon Road status

Postby CarpeDM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:02 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Thanks, Mike! Helpful stuff

Yes, thanks! I have looked at a number of ways to climb Holy Cross - including going to Tuhare Lakes - but they've all started off of the Tigiwon Road. I knew these other approaches existed, but haven't researched them much - so couldn't say much about beginner route or not. I will say the USFS person did at least indicate that it would probably be a backpack from that Fancy Pass TH.

And thanks for that pic. I had only seen that area on the topo. This really helps see the route up from Tuhare Lakes.

Obviously, the best outcome would be some accommodation made for normal traffic along Tigiwon Road like Bill suggested, but I'm not counting on it. Looks like I'll be researching my options.

Also, I imagine that there is still a LOT of snow up there, and I think I heard 3" to 6" more inches coming today.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby knuckyboy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:27 pm

This is disappointing news for a Monday! I've been excited about the great opportunity this year to drive up Tigwon Rd after 6/20 and get a ski descent in great snow conditions for June. Bummer! Please keep me updated on anything you learn - I was contemplating a climb wknd of 6/25 or 7/2.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:38 pm

When emailing the contact on the Holy Cross office web page (cbmyers@fs.fed.us), I got the following message:

I will be out of the office starting 06/15/2011 and will not return until 06/27/2011. If you need immediate assistance you may email our seasonal information receptionist, John Peterson, at johnlpeterson@fs.fed.us, or call the front desk at (970)827-5715.

Let's give them a call... :)
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Carl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:02 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Let's give them a call... :)

Lets all keep in mind that John is the messenger and not go too hard on him. He seems like a nice enough guy. That said, I do think it's important that we each express our concern about a blanket closure of this road for the entire summer if it isn't entirely necessary, especially if it's to all forms of traffic.

And I really don't want to carry my skis and ski boots an extra 8 plus miles sometime in the next couple weeks. My understanding was that if the closure does happen though it would just be to motorized vehicles. This would still be unfortunate, but it would help my rental business.

For rent: 1 bike chariot. Can reasonably carry up to 100 pounds. $10 per day. Pick up in Golden. $100 security deposit required. :mrgreen:

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:05 pm

That setup needs a tall, orange flag on the back.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:17 pm

It comes with the skis?
If you put a pair of tele skis on the back I might rent it. But you might not get your deposit back, you should up that a bit!
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby Carl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:It comes with the skis?
If you put a pair of tele skis on the back I might rent it. But you might not get your deposit back, you should up that a bit!

Sorry, skis and bike are not included. But if you rent it for a week you can have the bag of soil in the picture. PM me if you're interested. Limited time offer.

Postby jimmtman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:33 pm

I was planning Cross Couloir in the next week or two. Very dissapointing. Thanks for the number - I will call them to let them know how many people they are impacting.

Jim

Holy Cross City, Hunky Dory Lake

Postby Marmot72 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15 pm

For any other ridge runners out there: I've had this peak in my sights for this summer, and my route was to be from Holy Cross City to Hunky Dory Lake, then up to the south ridge to the summit, backtracking a bit to take Halo and cross over the top of Notch Mountain to drop down the standard approach. My sister, who has a lifted jeep, is my ride for the drop off and pick up points. That whole plan, though, was predicated on the idea that she would be able to hike in from the tigiwon approach and set up camp on that side...so, now I think my plan is to hike the S ridge, forego the summit on day one and take the Halo over to Notch to spend the night in the Notch cabin. Then, day two, back over Halo and to the Holy Cross summit, and run the s ridge back to the Holy Cross City.

Looking to do this in mid-July - PM If interested in tagging along.

-Steve
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.

Postby leftyslugger » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 pm

BUMP. Anyone else talk to the USFS and get the same/different story?

Postby tmathews » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:50 pm

leftyslugger wrote:BUMP. Anyone else talk to the USFS and get the same/different story?

What did they tell you?

Postby leftyslugger » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:00 pm

I tried calling a couple of times and couldn't get anyone on the phone. I didn't have time to wait or call again. I'm planning a trip in that area around July 7th. Making plans for a Gore trip instead unless I hear the road opens.

I'll call again as my trip approaches.

PreviousNext