Longs peak camping next summer

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
iawestern
Trip Reports (0)

Longs peak camping next summer

Post by iawestern »

A group of us are making plans for next August to climb Long's Peak. What is the name of the campground that is on the way up the Keyhole route? I assume that permits are required. If so, where is the website where these permits can be purchased?

Thanks for your help!

Mark
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Longs peak camping next summer

Post by Kojones »

It's the Boulder Field. Not sure how to reserve a spot though.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
Muhlenberg Hiker
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Muhlenberg Hiker »

Ck with the Backcountry Office behind the main visitor center. I would call.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

It's just the boulder field campground. The park service will know what you're talking about.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

A backcountry permit cannot be reserved until March 1. Call on March 1 and keep trying until you get through especially if you are planning for a weekend in August. The details are here:

http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/b ... _guide.htm
bif
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bif »

When I made reservation for the boulder field camp area for last September . I was required to mail my request , with $20 to the back country office. They would not take phone reservation since I was making a reservation greater than two weeks in advance.

They are very helpful.
bif
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Phone reservations are not accepted between May 15 and Oct 1. Between Mar 1 and May 15, reservations are accepted by phone. Backcountry sites can be reserved months in advance by telephone during this period. I called in March and reserved a Boulderfield site for late June. The more popular and strategically located sites (such as the Glacier Gorge backcountry site) go fast. Between May 15 and Oct 1, reservations taken by snail mail and walk-up counter only.

I agree - best way forward is to call the Backcountry office for the current process. 970-586-1242
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

There are other camp spots, but not as well positioned as the Boulder Field.
There is Goblin Fofrest only 1.5 miles after trail head. And Chasm Lake about 4 miles in.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

peter303 wrote:There are other camp spots, but not as well positioned as the Boulder Field.
There is Goblin Fofrest only 1.5 miles after trail head. And Chasm Lake about 4 miles in.
There is no camping at Chasm Lake.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

If you have a big enough group there is a site at Battle Mountain about 2.5 miles up as well. I'm not sure what the minimum group size is to reserve it. We had about 10 people when we used it.
Jokerst44
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jokerst44 »

Does anyone know how many days in a row you can try and reserve in the boulder field?
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Jokerst44 wrote:Does anyone know how many days in a row you can try and reserve in the boulder field?
Call a ranger station in RMNP, they will answer all your questions.