Lake Como Road Advice

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
luckyzsquirrel
14ers: 47 
13ers: 56 2
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Lake Como Road Advice

Post by luckyzsquirrel »

310 PKS wrote:Made up or not, this is the "obstacle" I mentioned was 4.6 miles from the cattle guard at the very beginning ogf the road.

My stock Xterra made it about that far. I didn't try it as I found a parking spot a little before it. But I bet I could have. There is some actual bigger camping pull outs a little past it where I saw some lightly modified CJ's.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

zoriloco wrote:
nomadelmundo wrote:
Iguru wrote:Some of the obstacles in the posted youtube video, are probably much worse than they appear. Most of the Cherokees look to have 33" tires or bigger, and they weren't cakewalking thru there. Mine has 31's, and am going to see how far I can make it, so as not to hike the whole road (again).
Trail damage, here I come 8-[
IGURU, let me know when you are going, I want a ride-along!

and awesome info "zoriloco" ... I think I'll pass taking my 4Runner up there... don't want to roll over my only TH and work horse :-&
Total Thread hijack/////

Let me know when you guys want to go. I'll be glad to give that trail another try. Maybe invite my Off Road club and make a day out of it.

End of hijack
Nomadelmundo:
I'll be there in Sept., maybe the 7th or so, will know the exact date a day before it happens.
Zoriloco:
I'd love to have 4x4 company on this trail.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

:iluvbeer: lets do it. PM me when you have dates.
pmccumber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmccumber »

cbauer10 wrote:
nomadelmundo wrote:anyone with a stock 3rd gen 4Runner ever made it to Lake Como all the way?
What the best crawl setting to attempt this? 4H/4L, locked/ unlocked rear-diffs?
I don't think it would be possible in a stock 4Runner, but it is your car. Definitely can be done, but I doubt it would be by anything stock.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gAY2mFVUdcU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy is oh so correct. Lots of people pushing caution should be listened to. Somebody mentioned "needing 33s, winch" ... I don't think a road worthy vehicle on 33s could do it. Watch this guy in a fairly built FJ Cruiser just get his head handed to him in the link I posted above. I did it in my lifted, armored, triple locked Land Cruiser on 35s and it was hell I'll never repeat. I've been everywhere in this state and Utah and am very comfortable traversing 4' obstacles and such. I crashed on stout aftermarket skids 50 times.

Another guy gave a good rundown. If you have a good 4wd (Jeep, Toyota) you can get up to Jaws 1 (about 10k).

If you're an experienced off-roader who doesn't mind significant damage and have a buggy, Rubicon or Land Cruiser on 37s with armor and a large lift, have at it. I'll carry a 50 lb backpack and be less tired from not going through 15 adrenaline rush near death experiences.

Poke around YouTube searching "Blanca Jaws". Notice the rigs that negotiate the obstacles easy. Many of these things are 4-6' obstacles. It's just like the Rubicon, only much shorter. Look at these guys. I think the first two guys are at least 37s, maybe 40s. And locked and it's still hard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKRS9N80bw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

pmccumber wrote:I did it in my lifted, armored, triple locked Land Cruiser on 35s and it was hell I'll never repeat.
Ned-man wrote:dirt-bike. I rode my Daughters little XR100 to above treeline, about 3/4 of a mile past lake Como in less than an hour from the very bottom of the road.
Big Man's Truck: 0
Lil' Girls Bike: 1

With work on CO-580 to Lily Lake/Lindsey done, Como is once again the toughest road to Blanca. South Zapata remains a distant third.

"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
jscully
14ers: 49  2  10 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully »

In my opinion you need 35s and 2 locking axles to make it to the lake. Ive got a 3 inch lift, 33s, full skids and locking rear diff on my FJ and I pulled off before Jaws 1. Jaws 2 is an extremely dangerous off camber shelf road. You could easily roll if youre not careful. Jeeps are the most capable vehicle to make it having 2 solid axles. Any vehicle with independent suspension front or rear will be a challenge.
Andymcp1
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andymcp1 »

I have a good friend with a rock crawler (buggy) that is tricked out. When I asked him about the road he replied "it was sketchy as f*ck" and said he had done it a handful of times, but would not be doing it again. He is a very experienced 4x4 guy with a custom built rock crawler on 42's and every other bell and whistle and he would not do it again.
With that said I have a lifted jeep, and would not consider going past jaws 1. I honestly think if you are quick, the road is a fast walk and it's not worth the risk of damage to your vehicle to push it on that road.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Any decent 4wd can make it to about 9800 feet where a sharp switchback has a few parking spots before heading sharply up to the north.

I've driven a Nissan SE pickup and Pathfinder up there 6 times. It takes a little driving skill but it's just rough reasonable stuff, albeit with consequences at points.

Above that, life is a bitch, and the consequences mount. Full blown mods and real driving skills are required and people have died up there. The road is marked with many oil and tranny spills and there are broken parts as milestones along the way.

It is a nice basin, and worth the effort. Park at nearly 10k and have fun. Save your car and leave it at that.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I didn't realize this was a useless zombie thread back from the long dead. MOST of the posters in this thread have been gone for years.

Inattentive me.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase