Lake Como Road Advice

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Lake Como Road Advice

Post by covfrrider »

Jaws 0.5 is not worthy of a name in my opinion, but it seems to sketch a lot of people out. I was able to get over it quite easily in my stock F150 FX4, it just takes a little visualization and feel for your vehicles tracking.
nomadelmundo
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by nomadelmundo »

anyone with a stock 3rd gen 4Runner ever made it to Lake Como all the way?
What the best crawl setting to attempt this? 4H/4L, locked/ unlocked rear-diffs?
Maxmius - What we do in life echoes in eternity.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Jaws 0.5 used to be a LOT worse.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

nomadelmundo wrote:anyone with a stock 3rd gen 4Runner ever made it to Lake Como all the way?
What the best crawl setting to attempt this? 4H/4L, locked/ unlocked rear-diffs?
I don't think it would be possible in a stock 4Runner, but it is your car. Definitely can be done, but I doubt it would be by anything stock.
Last edited by cbauer10 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

cbauer10 wrote:It is always funny when this topic comes up because people start making up obstacles that stock cars can't pass, like the mythical Jaws 0.5.
Agreed. People on 14ers.com started talking about this spot a couple years ago, and I thought it was a different area further up the road that presents more of a challenge than this place.
It's my understanding that the Jaws 1-4 are called "Jaws" because they could snap an axle, biting it off in essence..? Since the danger of this happening at the putative "Jaws" 0.5 is basically nil, I think calling it that makes very little sense.
In the interest of referencing this spot in future discussions: How about "the switchback" or something more accurate in describing its "not being worth a name," as said above?
Any other suggestions for a new label are welcome.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Jaws 0.5 used to be a LOT worse.
Any pictures from when it was worse?
stretch2187
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stretch2187 »

310 PKS wrote:Made up or not, this is the "obstacle" I mentioned was 4.6 miles from the cattle guard at the very beginning ogf the road.
I didn't mean to imply it was made up. I only used the quotation marks because people fight over whether or not it is a named obstacle. I don't really care if it is or not (it was enough to make me park), but it is a good reference point for progress on the road. For me driving as far as possible up the road isn't about making it an easier hike on the way up, it's about saving my knees on the hike back down. I went up last year and stopped about 0.8 miles sooner than this year. That short distance made all the difference in how my knees felt the day after hiking down.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

nomadelmundo wrote:anyone with a stock 3rd gen 4Runner ever made it to Lake Como all the way?
4lo as soon as you start to climb. If you are locked i would only lock during the obstacles.

It is also good to mention that 4Wheeling clubs plan out runs like these with time, they bring recovery gear and usually dont go up it alone. So kinda makes you wonder how someone with no experience on serious offroad driving or recovery gear and alone would even try it to the top.

I dont think you want to put your vehicle thru that kind of trail. Blanca is conisered one of the hardest trails in CO.

I ran part of that trail about 3 or 4 weeks ago in my Jeep ( 33's and posi trac on the rear axle) only made it to jaws .5 because of time. Im sure any high clearance 4WD vehicle can make it there just fine with some knowledge of basic 4x4 driving.

A huge problem that is often seen in trails, is that people take non fit vehicles. Thats when, instead of going thru the obstacles they start going around them and making illegal by passes.

Here is a video of the trail before the blew up some of the obstacles, but there are still several of them there. You decide if you can take your rig up that route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKRS9N80bw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a full description of the trail

and here are some more pics
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is one of the most extreme trails in Colorado, with all different kinds of obstacles. 33" tires, a winch, and at least one differential locker are required to successfully complete this dangerous and beautiful trail.

Blanca Peak itself is 14,345 feet at its height. It is an impressive mountain very near Alamosa and the Great Sand Dunes. It is rocky at the top and the base is very gradual and smooth. It is a very popular mountain and trail for hikers.

The trail starts off as a long, steep, loose rock trail that is very nearly completely straight as it goes up to the steeper part of the base of the mountain. Then it is a series of long switchbacks that become more narrow as you gain altitude. It isn't long before you have a beautiful view of the valley below.

Once the switchbacks end you start up the mountain on a trail that is almost as straight as the beginning of the trail. It takes you through trees and over rocks. Though many of the rock obstacles are large and can high center a vehicle, these smaller obstacles are not named.

The first named obstacle, Jaws 1, is the beginning of the roller coaster ride to the top. If you do not feel you can do this obstacle you should turn around at this point.

Jaws 1 will test your vehicle's clearance and its ability to stay upright. It is a long, thin mound of rock that slants toward the edge of the trail. It is very easy to get high centered here as you work your way over it, and your vehicle will become very tippy on the other side. You may need to try a few different approaches before you find the right one. The line to the far right is the widest part so you will find the lowest chance of high centering, but it is extremely tippy. There is plenty of room to turn around before attempting Jaws 1.

Jaws 2 isn't much further, and it is the most dangerous one. There is a plaque remembering Leonard Davis, one of many who have died here. It has since been built up on the cliff edge to make it slightly less dangerous, but it is still very risky. It is a series of rocks that lean out toward the edge, with just enough room to work your way over it without falling off. It is often wet and muddy, making it even more dangerous. There is some room to turn around at the bottom before attempting Jaws 2.

Jaws 2 1/2 is a chunk of rock with a "V" notch in it, making it a fun place to test the flexibility of your suspension. You are not in any danger of falling off of a cliff, so you can safely play here. If you go far to the left around the center rocks you can get through without flexing. There is room to turn around before this obstacle.

Jaws 3 is the most technical of the obstacles and it has an easy bypass around it if you don't want to attempt it. The bypass goes to the right at the "Y" in the trail where Jaws 3 continues up to the left. It is a wall of steps and sandy rock that you must climb. The climb would be impossible without lockers, and a winch would help here.

After Jaws 3 there are many other rocky sections and narrow shelf roads as you work your way to Lake Como. This lake is beautiful and large, nestled in the trees and surrounded by mountains. There is lots of room for camping and there are usually lots of people there.

Jaws 4 is around the lake and up the hill. When dry, this obstacle is a mound of rock that is fun to climb but is not particularly challenging compared to the rest of the trail. When wet and muddy this obstacle can be very dangerous and nearly impossible. There is a cliff at its edge and there is no bypass. There is room to turn around before you move into the trees, so you may want to park in this open area and walk a bit up the hill to check the conditions of Jaws 4 before attempting it.

Past Jaws 4 is a bit more of the trail, with a few rocky and unnamed obstacles. The trail ends at 6.0 miles at Blue Lakes, with a stunning waterfall behind it. You can hike over the waterfall and even further to Crater Lake.

This trail should never be driven alone. Make sure you and your vehicle are prepared before attempting Blanca Peak.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

Some of the obstacles in the posted youtube video, are probably much worse than they appear. Most of the Cherokees look to have 33" tires or bigger, and they weren't cakewalking thru there. Mine has 31's, and am going to see how far I can make it, so as not to hike the whole road (again).
Trail damage, here I come 8-[
I gotta get me an Avatar.
PeteDunnewald
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PeteDunnewald »

Mine has 31's, and am going to see how far I can make it, so as not to hike the whole road (again).
Trail damage, here I come
Please post (with pics?) as to how you do. I have 31's on my Cherokee, and am waiting until next summer to do that road when I have 33's. Good luck.

Pete
stretch2187
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stretch2187 »

Iguru wrote:Some of the obstacles in the posted youtube video, are probably much worse than they appear. Most of the Cherokees look to have 33" tires or bigger, and they weren't cakewalking thru there. Mine has 31's, and am going to see how far I can make it, so as not to hike the whole road (again).
In a Cherokee on 31's there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to make it to Jaws 1. In fact, I would say you have a fair shot of getting past Jaws 1 since there is a bit of a bypass to the left of the real obstacle that you should be able to do depending on how hard you want to push your rig, which is really the key to all of this anyway.
cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

stretch2187 wrote:
Iguru wrote:Some of the obstacles in the posted youtube video, are probably much worse than they appear. Most of the Cherokees look to have 33" tires or bigger, and they weren't cakewalking thru there. Mine has 31's, and am going to see how far I can make it, so as not to hike the whole road (again).
In a Cherokee on 31's there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to make it to Jaws 1. In fact, I would say you have a fair shot of getting past Jaws 1 since there is a bit of a bypass to the left of the real obstacle that you should be able to do depending on how hard you want to push your rig, which is really the key to all of this anyway.
That is the scary part. Coming out on that bypass puts you dangerously close to the edge. On the way in you have the advantage of being on the dangerous side and placing your tires very cautiously. On the way out, it is easy to get too high on the line. Not impossible, but yes it is just how far you want to push it.