Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping for Hanging Lake

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping for Hanging Lake

Postby wypatt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:47 pm

Anyone know of any good camping sites near the Hanging Lake/Glenwood Springs area? Trying to avoid any popular/designated camp sites but if thats my only option we will make due. Thanks!

Re: Camping for Hanging Lake

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Just a FYI, didn't know if you 1, knew this or 2, cared to hike up the trail, but the trail to Hanging Lake is closed this summer from 5/1 till 8/1 for long awaited maintenance.

Postby wypatt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:03 pm

I was unaware of that thank you! Have a friend coming in to town and wanted to go to camp out and go on a day hike to something similar I guess. Any suggestions?

Postby sgladbach » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:34 pm

wypatt wrote:Have a friend coming in to town ........Any suggestions?

Where do you live? Glenwood?
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby bonehead » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:31 am

There is a FS campground on HWY 3 heading out to Marble. It is right on the Crystal River and very nice. A short drive into Marble and there are lots of hiking options. The road out to the old Crystal Mine is very pretty.
Pick up the Sky Terrain Trail Map for Aspen. Tons of options there. ACE Hardware usually has it.

Postby wypatt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:29 am

Is there any camping near maroon lake that avoids the mess of the organized campgrounds?

Postby kaiman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:07 am

wypatt wrote:Is there any camping near maroon lake that avoids the mess of the organized campgrounds?

Not near Maroon Lake, but you can hike into Crater Lake and camp in the designated spots...
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper