Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Family Camping

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Family Camping

Postby Mountainspirit » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Hello friends.
My family has camped in numerous spots throughout our mountains here in Colorado (Summit, Steamboat, Ouray, Mt. Princeton, Maroon Bells, RMNP, Crested Butte, etc.). We're looking for a new (for us) place to go this summer and need for it to be a "car camping" experience (as we will be joined by another family with little ones). Whether we have to pay, or just "squat" doesn't matter - but I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to share some of your favorites as suggestions? If you have a true gem you'd rather not share publicly, feel free to send an email my way instead. Thanks in advance!
Grace & Peace.
Scott
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison

Re: Family Camping

Postby traderaaron » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Scott, I replied to a similar post last summer from a family with a baby I believe, my recommendation was Lost Park CG (picnic tables, water, bathroom) or along with Lost Park road in the informal camping spots. Close to Denver, there is hiking, there is fishing along Lost Creek, there is mountain climbing in the Kenosha and Tarryall mountains. The family went and reported it to be a great spot for them. I took my friend, his wife and 3 year old and it worked out well for them as well.

I also really like the Winfield area for car camping.

Re: Family Camping

Postby newnative » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:04 pm

traderaaron wrote:Scott, I replied to a similar post last summer from a family with a baby I believe, my recommendation was Lost Park CG (picnic tables, water, bathroom) or along with Lost Park road in the informal camping spots. Close to Denver, there is hiking, there is fishing along Lost Creek, there is mountain climbing in the Kenosha and Tarryall mountains. The family went and reported it to be a great spot for them. I took my friend, his wife and 3 year old and it worked out well for them as well.

I also really like the Winfield area for car camping.

That was my family and I that Aaron gave the recommendation to, and it was a pretty good one! Another one very close to that area that we enjoyed even more was the Selkirk campground which is reached by taking 285 out to Como, heading up past Mt Silverheels, towards Boreas Pass and following the signs to the campground. It was smaller, definitely less crowded, and still had toilets and water access. Either of the two are excellent car camping choices, but if we had to choose one over the other (which is a tough choice) we'd choose Selkirk. Feel free to PM me for more specifics on either site if you'd like.
Something will have gone out of us as a people if we ever let the last remaining wilderness be destroyed.

- Wallace Stegner