Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sangre Conditions Update

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Sangre Conditions Update

Postby traderaaron » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Here's an update on the Southern Sangres (Horn Peak to Crestones). South facing aspects are largely bare and dry, trails are bare in open areas and packed with 3-6 inches elsewhere, snow in the trees is at most knee deep and that's where the wind has collected it. I'd say there is well less than half the snow as compared to this time last year. Snowshoes are unnecessary as far as I could tell. I'll post a few pictures later this evening.

Oh, and Pizza Madness in Westcliffe/Silvercliffe is now After R's after a change of ownership but the pizza still tasted good to me after a hike.

Re: Sangre Conditions Update

Postby traderaaron » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Some pictures showing general conditions

Horn Peak

Crestones and Humboldt

Postby Johnson » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Nice pics. I am considering Humboldt soon.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby piper14er » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Any info on road conditions? South Colony, Hermit, etc.? Where did you hike? Thanks.

Postby traderaaron » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:35 pm

I was hiking on the Rainbow Trail from Horn Creek Ranch to the Dry Creek trail and up the Dry Creek Trail and then I checked out the ESE ridge of Horn (very dry), then drove south to just poke around a little.

I don't have specific road conditions other than whatever is exposed to the sun is dry. I was on the South Colony road this time last year and there was snow just starting at the 2wd TH but this year it is dry down that low.

Postby bigtrout » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 am

Sen "msirilja" and I attempted to hike up Horn Peak yesterday via the ESE ridge. We got turned back about 100 feet below timberline by waist-deep, soft, sugary snow. Above timberline, the ridge looked windswept with little snow. The ENE ridge looked a little less snowy than the ESE ridge. There was lots of snow down in the Dry Creek creek valley, but the trail was well-packed. Lots of good snowshoeing on the trail.
Be Nice; Take Care of Yourself; Work Hard - Stephen Gladbach's Three Rules

Postby traderaaron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:13 am

You can see that snow that turned you back in my Horn Peak photo, that's what caught my eye on Saturday as the only real snow on that route. I too wondered about the standard east ridge right now.

Bigtrout, did you gain the ESE ridge just after the creek crossing and go up that dry scrub Oak slope?

I didn't use snowshoes on the Dry Creek trail, or anywhere, but one could have once you got into the shaded valley, that's where the snow started.

Postby traderaaron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:26 am

And I will echo Bigtrout, the snow that is there is very sugary and is very hard to get a foothold in if you are on a slope, it hasn't consolidated because there isn't really anything much there to consolidate. Last January was much better in this regard.

Postby bigtrout » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:52 pm

We left the trail about 50 yards after the creek crossing, scrabbled up to the ridge and tried to stay on the ridge and the bare patches and hard snow until timberline. The higher we got, the tougher it got. We didn't need snowshoes until probably 11,300 ft or 11,400 ft or so. Then the snow got deep and soft with no bare areas. It was already 11:00 a.m. and we hadn't made treeline, yet, so we decided to turn around.
On second thought, it might have easier to snowshoe it up to the lakes and then climb the mountain from there. I'll give it another try sometime this winter.
Be Nice; Take Care of Yourself; Work Hard - Stephen Gladbach's Three Rules

Postby traderaaron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm

I too wondered about snowshoeing up closer to the lakes and then gaining the ridge given the snow conditions. For ridge ascents it looks like Eagle Peak may be easier although longer.

Postby SenadR » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Blue line represents approx. our path with stopping point, red line is approx. path of decent, tough day but turn out to be great snowshoeing day.
Attachments
horns.jpg
horns.jpg (157.4 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:09 pm

misirlija wrote:Blue line represents approx. our path with stopping point, red line is approx. path of decent, tough day but turn out to be great snowshoeing day.

Cripes, Sen, that's a gorgeous photo! HDR-like.

Shooting a Nikon D40 or D60 if I recall? Sweet.

Man, you guys were almost at the gold! A few more feet, and .... Bingo! ... Summer ascent!

Now you've really got me salivating over this Humboldt idea.... : )

Next