Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Argentine Pass info

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Argentine Pass info

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:44 pm

matting wrote: by matting » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:18 pm
Old photos of 14ers etc. Where is the best place to see them?

That's a real good question. I don't know if there is a 14er library of old photos, or all you can do is just go into texts containing old photos of the unmistakable profiles of the 14ers we know and love. For example, in front of me I have a historic book titled "Narrow Gauge to Central and Silver Plume" (1972), published by the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. The author's name is is Cornelius W. Hauck. On Page 125 is pictured a Shay locomotive with several cars provided for tourists on the Argentine Central at the highest point reached by rail on Mt. McClellan. The image shown is facing the opposite direction from Wildlobo's photo showing Grays and Torreys behind the tourists, above. In the backgroud to the east on Page 125 are the unmistakable profiles of Mounts Evans and Bierstadt, along with familiar 13ers such as Gray Wolf, Spalding, the Sawtooth and Wilcox. If you visit museums in the mining towns near 14ers maybe a familiar peak will show up at the museum's photo collection. There is a good museum with old railroad photos in Como. The Museum in Golden may reveal some surprises.

The west side or Argentine Pass may be dangerous for vehicles now (I think it is too) but I have seen one or two photos of a stage coach making safe passage up the west side with snow cleared from the road and Grays Peak for a backdrop.

That said, if there are others more knowledgeable in this subject than presented here, you have the forum to pursue this interesting topic.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby cwm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:35 pm

"The west side or Argentine Pass may be dangerous for vehicles now (I think it is too) but I have seen one or two photos of a stage coach making safe passage up the west side with snow cleared from the road and Grays Peak for a backdrop."

The west side of Argentine Pass is not passable by vehicles anymore. Even to mountain bike the west side would be difficult and dangerous in a couple of places. The upper two miles are perhaps 3 feet wide at best. In some places even more narrow. The slope where they built this road is very steep and that is part of the problem. The rock above the old road slides and has them made it narrow. Plus there is one gully where the road is washing away.

The lower part down to the old Peru Creek mining road in Horseshoe Basin is overgrown with willows. It is not to bad for hiking but not any wider than a hiking trail. Plus in 2006 a permanent closure gate was installed on the Peru Creek Road at the Shoe Basin Mine. This is about 3/10 of a mile from where the Argentine Pass trail turns off the road. There is one section of the road above the willows that is still the original width so that you can see what it was like in the 1860/1870 era.

However, it is an interesting hike from the Peru Creek Road to the top of Argentine Pass at the Continental Divide. The top of the pass is 13,200 ft.

If you keep going up the old road in Horseshoe Basin in about 3/4 mi you are at the base of Grays and the climb from there up Grays is more challenging then the standard Stevens Gulch route.

A good book is Summit - A Gold Rush History of Summit County, Colorado by Mary Ellen Gilliland. You can find it at book stores in Summit county and at the City Markets. Lots of old pictures and information on the old mining camps.

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:19 am

Before Bill lasrt cleaned house, the member named "g" had a link to a thread where he uploaded dozens of photos and other old artwork containing 14ers, and Colorado Mountains in general... a message to him would probably help with the source.

The photo I posted came from The Denver Western History Collection... Click Here and then in the search, type in a specific mountain or Colorado Rocky Mountains. For McClellan Mountain, that's what I typed in, and there are probably 2 dozen photos of the Argentine & Grays Peak RR going to the top, the Waldorf and Santiago Mines, and other stuff in the area.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:58 pm

wildlobo71 wrote: by wildlobo71 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:19 am
Before Bill lasrt cleaned house, the member named "g" had a link to a thread where he uploaded dozens of photos and other old artwork containing 14ers, and Colorado Mountains in general... a message to him

This looks like a good place to find unusual or rare photos. Under SEARCH I typed "Argentine Pass" and received several photos. Will investigate further later. Thanks,
MAS
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Previous