Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Turquoise Lake Road

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Turquoise Lake Road

Postby Marty » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:14 pm

This is slightly off the 14er topic, but has anyone been up to Skinner Hut within the last week or 2? I am interested to know the condition of Turquoise Lake Road (drivable by SUV to the trailhead?) and the backcountry conditions up top (worth tele-ing, or better to just snowshoe?). I'm heading up tomorrow AM and debating snowshoes versus teles. I'd love to get some input if anyone has been up there lately. Any beta out there?

Thanks so much!
Marty
There is no finish line.

Re: Turquoise Lake Road

Postby nickonov » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:53 pm

As I understand it, the road around the lake is closed to vehicles (with wheels) all winter. It's a long way to the "trailhead", where the steep ascent to Skinner Hut begins. It's definitely easier to ski around the lake, but snowshoes are a lot better-suited for those last couple of miles. One bit of advice: park by the dam and take the southern route around Turquoise Lake -- it's shorter and involves less up-and-down. Good maps/info available here: http://www.hutski.com/hut-routes/skinner/skinner.html.

Postby Marty » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks!!
There is no finish line.

Postby bckcntryskr » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:31 pm

That's a long road. Though it can go by quicker with good kick waxing. Once you get to the South end, you will need skins to get up the steep trail. Watch your route selection up there, you will be in avy territory. The other alternative (cut back and continue up the road) is even longer and I would not reccomened it.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"