Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry camping

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Backcountry camping

Postby cdn-eh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi y'all,

Me and some of my buddies are planning to do some high altitude (for us) trekking in your colorado 14ers this summer. We were originally thinking of staying in the huts (huts.org) but have come to realize the ones that are near the interesting 14ers are closed in the summer.

What are the rules for backcountry camping? It seems most of the high mountains are in the national parks, so we're thinking backcountry camping might not be allowed.

We'd like to camp high, perferably above 11k. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Backcountry camping

Postby skiwall » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:17 pm

cdn-eh wrote:Hi y'all,

:D :D :D

Makes me feel like I'm at home!!!!

The rules depend on exactly where you are. There are lots of high mountains that are not in national parks where backcountry camping is allowed.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby CO Native » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Actually only Longs Peak is in a National Park and camping is allowed there by permit. Most are on public lands where you are allowed to camp for free with minimal restrictions, though you are encouraged to abide by the Leave No Trace principles when camping on public lands. A few routes are on or at least cross private property where you'll need to be sensitive to the wishes of the land owners.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Cruiser » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:11 pm

There's a lot of great camping along 14er routes during the summer. Do a quick search including the words camping and trails or some variation on those terms. You should turn up several threads with some great camping ideas along 14er trails all over the state.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby cdn-eh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:43 pm

ahhh, this is good news. So there is hope for our trip afterall. Where we live, Calgary, all the interesting mountains are either in the Banff national park or in Kananaskis country, either way backcountry camping is forbidden outside designated campsites. I guess we're used to that.

Looking at this site I am totally blown away, what an awesome site for references. It has it all, everything in one place, routes, trip reports, even maps.

The problem is, there is soooo much info here, it's gonna take a lot of time to read it all and figure out what we want to do. (as if that's a problem, haha).

Well thanks for the feedback, and more than likely I'll be back with more questions.

Kevin (eh!)