Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boulder Falls

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Boulder Falls

Postby Redleg Bruce » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:01 am

I haven't been up Boulder Canyon since the beginning of August of last year ('09) and the Falls were still closed then, I heard from a rockfall and danger of another. Are they still closed and if so are there any plans to re-open them? Thanks!
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Re: Boulder Falls

Postby bob863 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 am

Boulder Falls remains closed indefinitely.

Postby burningthebushes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:59 am

is it me or if it has the name Boulder in it, it's going to be closed?
Andy

Postby ArloGuthroJeep » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:37 am

I went to a Boulder County Council meeting a month or two ago and they talked briefly about it.

They talked about implementing a fee to cover the costs of scraping the walls regularly to keep it safe. They also talked about climber access and how depending on what is done below, affects the climbers access. For instance if the falls stay closed, they don't have to worry about the climbers access over head knocking down rocks. It was all very tentative. One of the council staff members was headed up there a few weeks after the meeting (so has probably already happened) to review the site and go over possible solutions.

My guess, it'll open in 7 years, with a site fee, and a paved sidewalk straight to the falls. Bathrooms, picnic tables, the works :roll:

Postby Redleg Bruce » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:48 am

Well that sucks (all the above bad things are what I'm referring to).
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!

Postby dumbsocrates » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:53 pm

I jumped the fence... :shock: shhhh.... don't tell anyone. I know, I know... Don't say it... "it's because of people like me... bla bla bla..." [-X I wanted to see the condition of the ice: I thought I might do some ice climbing. #-o

Postby BaronVonBergschrund » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Boulder Falls gets poached regularly for free solo ice climbing. Typically at night.
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners

Postby Pivvay » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:35 pm

dumbsocrates wrote:I jumped the fence... :shock: shhhh.... don't tell anyone. I know, I know... Don't say it... "it's because of people like me... bla bla bla..." [-X I wanted to see the condition of the ice: I thought I might do some ice climbing. #-o

So how'd it look?