Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Stewart Creek TH?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Stewart Creek TH?

Postby Kevin Baker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:19 pm

sgladbach wrote:Britt, et. al.

I edited that report so the San Luis portion might be more useful. In the end, evalute each new section as you come to it. hopefully, the solutiond to the Avy potential routes will appear. Conditons are improving by the day! Except for wind, things look good!

Steve

Hi, Steve:

I'm not sure where you've been hiking lately, but the last 2 weeks I have seen very dangerous snow condtions in both the Mosquitos and near Breckenridge. It's probably the worst I have seen for this time of year. There were shooting cracks and whumphs all over the place on very low angle slopes, obvious telltale signs of unstable snow. A couple friends of mine set off a small slide on fairly low angle slopes today in the Mosquitos. Be careful out there, folks!
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby mountainmicah83 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:42 am

I was up there on saturday and sunday to do a little recon and some winter camping with a couple of buddies. We drove up the roads from creede. We were able to drive within a couple of miles of the equity mine (summer TH) The snow starts at the junction about 3 miles before the TH and the snowcats have been packing a decent trail. We were able to make it a ways on the snowcat tracks with a standard jeep cherokee. From there, you can hike without your snowshoes to nearly the top of the first pass. Just be sure to stay left on the cat tracks when they split. (we didn't do this and snowshoes were necessary) We decided to setup camp before reaching the first pass because we didn't even start hiking until the early afternoon and the sun was getting ready to set. We were hoping to possibly dig a snow cave but the snow is not quite deep enough yet. Maybe 2 more feet. Another problem is a mix of hard crusty layers and sugary layers. Even on very low angle slopes below treeline (15 deg) the snow was whumpfing and cracking. We just dug a big pit in the snow and camped out under the stars in the -9 deg weather. Luckily there was no wind. We ended up being in our bags from about 5 PM until almost 9 AM when the sun came back up. We had our snowboards and were planning on riding down something but with the wierd conditions we decided not to risk it even with beacons probes and shovels.

I hope this info helps someone out there.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby unclegar » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Very helpful. Thanks!
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Previous