Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Stewart Creek TH?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Stewart Creek TH?

Postby AlexMack » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Any recent beta on getting to the Stewart Creek TH? Thinking about heading down to San Luis soon, at least that's ONE of the ideas!
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin

Re: Stewart Creek TH?

Postby globreal » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 pm

Alex,

If you get any beta on this approach road and TH, please let me know what you hear. I'm looking at this peak for Dec. 12th, weather permitting.

Thanks!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby globreal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:11 pm

AlexMack wrote:Any recent beta on getting to the Stewart Creek TH? Thinking about heading down to San Luis soon, at least that's ONE of the ideas!

We ended up not going due to the week of snow storms and arctic cold that hit right at that time. However, we've rescheduled this climb for Sat. Jan. 02. Weather permitting and if the avalanche conditions are low.

The Stewart Creek TH has a loooong drive in to the TH along unplowed forest service roads. The only for sure way in there is by snowmobile. Therefore, our research has lead us to the southern approach just outside of Creede. I can tell you more if interested.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."

Postby mountainmicah83 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:25 pm

I would be interested in hearing more about the southern approach. We are interested in doing something on 26-27 of Dec. I just figured there is no way without a snowmobile.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby AlexMack » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:54 pm

We were planning on heading there on the 1st, doing a skin-in to a better approach camp and maybe going for the summit on the 2nd, maybe leave on the 2nd or also the 3rd possibly. Tell me more about this southern approach.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin

Postby MtHurd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm

I've done a portion of the "southern" route from Creede over Memorial Day. The standard route traverses around a fairly big bowl and as a guess, I would think it may have some avalanche potential. I never got to the bowl as the spring snow had a nasty crust and very unconsolidated snow beneath. Very bad on the shins and impossible with snowshoes.

Here is a pic from SummitPost showing a portion of the bowl. The bowl is pictured in the middle of the photo and works it's way up and and right disappearing behind the ridge the photographer is standing on. San Luis is out of the picture to the left. You might be able to descend down into the trees and back up, losing a lot of altitude but skipping the most dangerous parts of the bowl.

Another thing, do not underestimate the length of this route in winter. Even if the road is open a ways up, it will still be a long trek in the snow and with a short sunlight cycle. Be prepared.

Postby globreal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:15 pm

AlexMack wrote:We were planning on heading there on the 1st, doing a skin-in to a better approach camp and maybe going for the summit on the 2nd, maybe leave on the 2nd or also the 3rd possibly. Tell me more about this southern approach.

PM sent. Call me and I'll talk you through.

Postby globreal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:18 pm

The bowl is pictured in the middle of the photo and works it's way up and and right disappearing behind the ridge the photographer is standing on. San Luis is out of the picture to the left. You might be able to descend down into the trees and back up, losing a lot of altitude but skipping the most dangerous parts of the bowl.

Heading down into the trees, yes....loosing altitude down to about 11,700 is the was sgladbach went to avoid avy danger. You can see his trip report here:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4015&parmpeak=Uncompahgre+Peak&parmuser=sgladbach&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

The San Luis TR is in the middle.

Postby sgladbach » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Britt, et. al.

I edited that report so the San Luis portion might be more useful. In the end, evalute each new section as you come to it. hopefully, the solutiond to the Avy potential routes will appear. Conditons are improving by the day! Except for wind, things look good!

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby MtHurd » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:24 pm

The peak you summitted if indeed was the one you summitted is not San Luis. San Luis is off to the left not in this picture.

Postby sgladbach » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Hmmm, I guess that's what I get for borrowing a photo from someone else's TR!! I'll have to take another look.

You called it correct Barry. I mis-labeled the route from the second saddle on. I then named "UN 13,155' " as San Luis. What's 1000' between friends? The maps in the TR are correct for my winter route.

Sorry Barry, when I corrected the TR, it dumped the photo associated with your comment.

If one looks at gb's photo, the prominent peak just left of center is UN 13,155'. The "third saddle" is the low spot left of here hidden from view. The "third saddle" separates 13,155' and San Luis (which as Barry stated, is off the photo to the left.) gb's photo is the correct summer or stable snow route. I'd not enter that bowl (or the subsequent bowl between the second and third saddles) during avy prone times. There are variations outlined in the TR linked earlier in this thread.
Last edited by sgladbach on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby gb » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Sgladbach-

It goes something like this:

San Luis is off to the left, this photo was taken from the same spot as the first:

that's why it takes so long...... man I hated that route. It would definitely be tough to do in a day at this time of year.

Next