Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How far is road open?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

How far is road open?

Postby The Turtle » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Planing on climbing Sherman on Friday. First ever November climb. How far up the road can I expect to make it in an AWD, SUV with poor traction? Leavick or maybe the gate? I'ver climbed Sherman at least 3 times before. I looked at a recent post but it wasn't clear how far they made it up the road.
Would the Iowa Gulch TH be a better alternative?
I have lots of experience dirving on slick, snow covered and rough roads.
Looks like a great day for any climb.

Thanks

Re: How far is road open?

Postby sgladbach » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:09 pm

The "Trailheads" tab on the 14er toolbar links to trailhead status (though often people forget to update it.) However, in your case, the Fourmile Creek (Leavick) TH was just updated on Sunday. It looks like you are good to go as far as you want.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads2.php?thparm=mr05

Most start at the Leavick Mill for 8.5 mile., 2800' day.

Later in the winter (now, I suppose, if it snows hard before you go) it is USUALLY open to 1.25 miles below the Leavick mill, making an 11 mile, 3000' day.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby Jback9 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm headed up to Sherman on Friday morning via the Leadville side or Iowa Gulch. I'm hoping the road is still open to the summer parking lot. Based upon previous reports on 14ers.com, it sound like the road will be passable via 4x4. From there I may treck across the meadow with my x-c skis or snowshoes. It sounds like not a lot of snow on the Sheridan-Sherman saddle nor the peak it self. Friday is shaping up to be a warm and sunny day.

I hope to see you on the trail!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:04 am

For Fourmile Creek...
I drove to the gate (12,000') yesterday. There's a thin layer of snow on the road but hardly needed 4WD.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby The Turtle » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:18 am

Thank's everyone. Sounds like it's going to be a great day to work off some of the Turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving

Postby denial » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:21 am

I am planning camping on day after tomorrow.But nowadays road will not clean.some railheads are effected on the road so it will not able to repair early.It will takes long time.If any one who are interested to make proper then remind authority people faces lots of problems and harassment because of this road.Some kind of repair can get help to moving people who want ti interested to use this road..

Postby wasclywabbit » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:18 pm

denial wrote:I am planning camping on day after tomorrow.But nowadays road will not clean.some railheads are effected on the road so it will not able to repair early.It will takes long time.If any one who are interested to make proper then remind authority people faces lots of problems and harassment because of this road.Some kind of repair can get help to moving people who want ti interested to use this road..

I really have no idea how to respond. :roll:
Ad alta per aspera: To the summit through difficulties.

Postby JB99 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:20 pm

wasclywabbit wrote:I really have no idea how to respond. :roll:

Actually that was perfect. :)
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."