Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

snowshoe conditions

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

snowshoe conditions

Postby Birdie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Can anyone tell me what the current snow conditions are like in areas such as Brainard Lake or Eldora for snowshoeing? Thanks!

Re: snowshoe conditions

Postby lydiah » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:46 pm

I was at St. Mary's Glacier last weekend, and there wasn't really anything substantial around for snowshoeing.
I've done Brainard Lake before though and you'll love it if you haven't been!
Live, Laugh, Love

Postby glacierPaul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:05 am

Even with all the wind we have had, there is plenty of snowshoeing available. Did you go up the entire glacier toward James Peak? There is also Rainbow Rd. to Fall River Res. and Steuart Rd. toward Loch Lomond, both of these roads offer miles of snowsoeing, besides the glacier.
Paul

Postby lydiah » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:19 pm

I did go all the way up to James. It was a good hike (I wrote a TR).

But it didn't seem to me that there was much snow around at all. Maybe down in the trees it sticks around, but I sure didn't see it up the route I took! I hiked up to Chinns Lake last year, and that was great, but that was also in January, so there was a lot more snow at that point too.
Live, Laugh, Love

Postby glacierPaul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:35 pm

We have had a mild start to our winter season, that's for sure, cold and windy, but not all the snow we usually have.

Postby craig99bb » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:45 am

Hi! Looking to snow shoe with the family this weekend. I found this posting...so what are the conditions at Brainard Lake right now? It says there's supposed to be a few inches tonight so tomorrow may be good. I'm taking my wife, my 4 yr old, and a 10 month old in a carrier for the first time...is this a good spot for 1st timers?

Thanks,
Craig

Postby glacierPaul » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:19 am

Today might not be the best day, Sunday is supposed to be a little nicer. We have got around 3+" with 12" drifts from the wind. It is still very windy, and snowing. The 10 month old is the only one I would be concerned with, because of the cold wind. It gets pretty harsh when storms are moving thru. Brainard may be slightly different, weather wise, but not much. Just bundle up the baby good! And be carefull with the baby pack on. My kids are 2 and 5, I now haul a little sled to pull the 2 year old, when walking is done, and this is way better than the backpack IMO. 10 month old is probably better off in the pack. Just keep checking the baby to make sure not turning blue, their blood circulation is not normal in the pack and bundled up. We had to keep stopping every so often to get baby out and let her move around to warm up. Those hand/feet warmers are be a good idea for the kids too. Anything to make their trip enjoyable, and want to do it again!, that is the goal!