Oct. 3 Conditions

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc. Trailhead Info/Status Reports
User avatar
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby djbritton » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm

Hey all,

I'm thinking of driving out from Kansas City this weekend for one last trip this year. I am considering doing Mt. Massive (East Slopes - Standard Route) or the Bierstadt/Sawtooth/Evans combo.

What are snow and ice conditions like on these mountains (and the roads to the trailheads)? I don't have any ice gear (crampons, ice ax, etc.) and do not want to purchase them now.

I'm open to other suggestions for similar hikes. But I drive a 4 door sedan, so can't do 4wd roads to any trailheads (yet!).

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: Denver co,

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:22 pm

you will be fine, little snow, little cold, but i think it will be ok.
"I remember when I used to be into nostalgia."

User avatar
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Aurora

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby Tornadoman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Maybe someone else with recent experience can chime in, but I think the Sawtooth might be a bit problematic w/o snow gear.

I think the weather that Saturday looks ok, a little cold and windy but should be a decent day. I will probably be doing Huron Peak.

Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby cwm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:37 pm

There is a cold front coming Thursday and Friday. They are not forecasting a lot of snow but if it is cold then any moisture will be snow.

To climb Bierstadt you will have to drive Guenella Pass from the south, Grant and Highway 285. As far as the Sawtooth and Evans there may already be enough snow up there to make that tricky. Even though it has been sunny the last couple of days, anything north facing will still have snow on the ground.

User avatar
Posts: 833
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:49 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby George James » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:06 pm


As Mr cwm noted, if you're planning on B-stadt make sure you use US-285 and not I-70 to get there. Sounds like there's also some other restrictions due to construction going on if you listen to the recording...

CDOT wrote:Guanella Pass Road (County Road 381) closed at Clear Lake due to rock instability. No through traffic. For additional information, call 303-569-3251, press "2" for Guanella Pass.


There will certainly be some snow on the ground, probably not too much tho. I personally recommend that you take your 14er goggles off and look around at some of the other fine peaks that Colorado has to offer: Areas and Ranges in Colorado

Good Luck!
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

User avatar
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:04 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby statentr » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:06 pm

I did the Sawtooth traverse before the snows hit and it was fine, but as for the amount of snow we got in the past week, I am not so sure I would do that route. I would worry that when you cross over to the west side of sawtooth you may be on a ledge with a ton of snow, but with it being as warm as it has been recently, it could be better than I expect. The problem is when you cross over to the west side, there hasn't been much sun getting to that portion. Not sure what Massive would be like, that is just my thought on the Sawtooth area.

User avatar
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 3:23 pm

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby yosemite98 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:16 pm

The SW slopes route on Massive is a good late season trail b/c it's south facing until 14,000 ft. With a 2wd vehicle you can get 1/2 mile from the trailhead, and most 4wd vehicles can get to the trailhead if you pick the right line. The standard East slopes route will probably have some snow on it.

I'll be doing Elbert this weekend, East Ridge. Taking the wife up on her first 14er.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests