Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping near Frisco?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping near Frisco?

Postby gatorchick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:58 am

Not 14er related but ...

Does anyone know of any good places to pitch a tent next to the car near Frisco? We are doing a bike race at the nordic center next weekend and are thinking about camping for it.

Anyone have any thoughts? :)
Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)

Re: Camping near Frisco?

Postby Skip Perkins » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:33 am

Prospector Campground is on Swan Mountain Rd on the south side of Lake Dillon. Nice setting and good climbing just as you enter the campground road.
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Postby cwm » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Skip Perkins wrote:Prospector Campground is on Swan Mountain Rd on the south side of Lake Dillon. Nice setting and good climbing just as you enter the campground road.

Prospector and Loury campgrounds on Swan Mountain Road have been closed all summer due to the beetle kill and the tree cutting being done due to this problem. If you have not been over Swan Mountain Road lately you will be surprised at how it looks. They have removed most of the dead trees on the north side of the road in several areas in several areas.

There is the Peak One Campground near Frisco but i am not sure if it is still open. That would be the Forest Service Campground close to the race. I believe that the Heaton Bay campgrounds, near the dam, are still open. Call the Forest Service office in Silverthorne and they can tell you exactly what is and is not open. 970-262-3440

Postby Scott P » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:23 pm

In addition to the ones mentioned above, there is also a nice campground just north of Silverthorne on Highway 9.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.