Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans/Echo to Summit Lake Road Closure

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Mt. Evans/Echo to Summit Lake Road Closure

Postby jdace82 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:21 pm

A buddy of mine went to snowshoe up Mt. Evans this morning but found out the road from Echo to Summit Lake was closed all day. Anyone have any ideas or know when it will be open again? Don't really feel like doing a 28 mile round trip if you know what I mean. Thanks!

Re: Mt. Evans/Echo to Summit Lake Road Closure

Postby harrise » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:30 pm

My understanding is they close the top portion (Summit Lake to top) the day after Labor Day. Then when snow closes the rest after that date, the road is CLOSED until the next season.

http://tinyurl.com/yeyrakn

Postby ulysses » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Is there really enough snow up there to snowshoe?

Postby weschun » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:18 pm

The road is now closed until spring. I talked to the Rangers early this week, and they said that CDOT probably would reopen the road to Summit Lake when the snow melts, but yesterday they told me it was closed for the season. I doubt if there is enough snow for snowshoes. We plan to climb next Thursday from Echo Lake. Round trip is more like 15-18 miles.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Postby nyker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:34 pm

I was thinking the same thing...how much snow IS up there??

Postby weschun » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:51 pm

My guess would be 6"-8", but most of it should melt in the next few days.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Postby D8S » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 pm

No snow as of 6:00am Wednesday, Sept 30. By the time you read this, it will have changed.

If it doesn't snow much and we get another warm spell like early this week, it will probably melt off again. If you don't like the distance, do it on a bicycle, at least to the Denver Mountain Park at Summit Lake. Much of the road is south facing and melts off well, although with snow and wind it will drift in places.

Dave

Postby brianb10 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Can you still drive up as far as echo lake even if the road is closed for the season? I've always assumed that the road is closed at the toll station but never knew for sure.

Postby bob863 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:39 pm

just as an FYI...there are 2 separate/different roads...CO 5 IS the Mt. Evans road
(from the toll station to the summit)...CO 103 is the road from Idaho Springs over
Squaw Pass to the town/city of Bergen (Echo Lake is adjacent to the toll station)...

The Mt. Evans road (CO 5) is closed for the season.....normally, CO 103 stays
open year-round (except for major snow storms)...

Postby cwm » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:28 pm

While much of the road is south facing there are several places that are not. In the first 3 miles of Highway 5 there is a lot of tree shading plus the direction the road faces. There will be little melting. And up higher the snow will be wind packed in a lot of places. Wind packed snow does not melt very quickly.

Part of the reason that the road closes so early is the cost to keep it open. CDOT, like any part of the state budget is trying to find ways to save money. Instead of plowing the Mt Evens Highway the money could be used on other highways.

I was on Highway 103 today from Idaho Springs to the 10 mile point and then I went up the Devils Canyon Road in one of my Jeeps. The trees were very colorful. But I doubt if the color will last much longer.

Postby tonyw » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:35 pm

I was told last weekend it was closed for the season. Ice was the reason, not snow.