Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

RIP - Fowler/Hilliard Hut

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: RIP - Fowler/Hilliard Hut

Postby gdthomas » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:40 am

This is unfortunate news. I have fond memories of "staying" in that hut. \:D/

Postby Jon Frohlich » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Lou Dawson posted some pictures on his site.

http://www.wildsnow.com/2126/fowler-hilliard-burns-photos/

Nothing left but the outhouse....

Postby Nathan Hale » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Skip Perkins wrote:It may be just a rumor but I've heard talk that the Fowler/Hilliard Hut was a suicide. Too many nights alone and then having to watch shovel wielding guests thoroughly enjoying themselves while it had to just sit there, alone.

And the verdict comes in: suicide it was!
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Postby covfrrider » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:14 pm

Nathan Hale wrote:
Skip Perkins wrote:It may be just a rumor but I've heard talk that the Fowler/Hilliard Hut was a suicide. Too many nights alone and then having to watch shovel wielding guests thoroughly enjoying themselves while it had to just sit there, alone.

And the verdict comes in: suicide it was!

Whew! All the environmental wackos have been vindicated!

Did anyone see the story on the News last night about the guy from the ELF?

Postby Nathan Hale » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Comparing the Sierra Club or even Greenpeace to the ELF is really silly. Silly for really. As is implying that they engage in terrorism. It's like implying that a mainstream pro-life group is responsible for bombing an abortion clinic.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

Postby covfrrider » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Nathan Hale wrote:Comparing the Sierra Club or even Greenpeace to the ELF is really silly. Silly for really. As is implying that they engage in terrorism. It's like implying that a mainstream pro-life group is responsible for bombing an abortion clinic.

Never made the comparison... simply asked the question earlier in the thread. :roll:

ELF did in fact engage in eco-terrorism, self admittedly nonetheless, so there really isn't any need to imply anything about that group. As far as the actions of groups like Greenpeace, i pass no judgment... but suffice it to say that their methods are a bit controversial. Sierra Club hasn't been controversy free either, although I'll concede that they are not what I would call a radical group.

Sorry if my mentioning them offended anyone...

Postby Nathan Hale » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:39 pm

I wasn't offended as I don't particularly care for either group, I just thought it was a silly thing to say. And indeed some of Greenpeace's actions are a bit controversial, but nothing that would come close to eco-terrorism in the ELF vein.

You didn't directly compare ELF to the Sierra Club, but it's not a big leap to make after you asked if Greenpeace/The Sierra Club were responsible for the fires at Vail, when in fact it was the ELF and doesn't match any pattern of action from either Greenpeace or The Sierra Club.

"Reading between the lines is apparently a lost art for you, no?" :wink:

I agree that there's no need to imply anything about ELF, I think my pronoun references may have been unclear, I meant that it was silly to imply specifically that the Sierra Club and Greenpeace engage in terrorism. Moreover, the facts in this case just didn't fit the MO of ecoterrorists to begin with as they always seem quite proud to proclaim their stupidity to the world.

In any event, the facts are now known so I suppose it's a moot point anyway.

But I agree with the general sentiment of the thread that the 10th Mtn Huts are a great resource and it's too bad this one's gone.

Postby Kiefer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Was just up there today hiking Resolution Mountain and I stopped by the hut. The thing is burned flat. Nothing left but the concrete foundation.
Talked to two guys who were up there laying down foundation for a yurt. No plans on when the hut proper will be up and ready but the yurt should be ready
in 2-3 weeks time.
The outhouse is still intact but has burn marks...prolly from the heat off the fire.

Postby covfrrider » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Nathan Hale wrote:I wasn't offended as I don't particularly care for either group, I just thought it was a silly thing to say. And indeed some of Greenpeace's actions are a bit controversial, but nothing that would come close to eco-terrorism in the ELF vein.

You didn't directly compare ELF to the Sierra Club, but it's not a big leap to make after you asked if Greenpeace/The Sierra Club were responsible for the fires at Vail, when in fact it was the ELF and doesn't match any pattern of action from either Greenpeace or The Sierra Club.

"Reading between the lines is apparently a lost art for you, no?" :wink:

I agree that there's no need to imply anything about ELF, I think my pronoun references may have been unclear, I meant that it was silly to imply specifically that the Sierra Club and Greenpeace engage in terrorism. Moreover, the facts in this case just didn't fit the MO of ecoterrorists to begin with as they always seem quite proud to proclaim their stupidity to the world.

In any event, the facts are now known so I suppose it's a moot point anyway.

But I agree with the general sentiment of the thread that the 10th Mtn Huts are a great resource and it's too bad this one's gone.

I asked the question because:

1) I couldn't remember the details.

and

2) I was too lazy at that moment (or busy with something else) to look it up.

It still seemed odd that the CBI would be involved in something like this... obviously there was enough suspicion of something to involve them.

Postby Steve Bonowski » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:09 am

western wrote: "Greenpeace and Sierra Club are one wacky leader away from it (eco-terrorism)."

I wonder what would constitute a main-stream environmental group for this poster?

If one visits the Browns Park store in far northwest Colorado, one can find a sign inside reading "boycott the Nature Conservancy." Back in the spring, after the House in D.C. approved the climate change bill, El Rushbo on his radio show referred to Republicans for Environmental Protection as a "wacko organization." Both are generally considered as being mainstream, even conservative, environmental groups.

Just wondering.........

Previous