Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

RIP - Fowler/Hilliard Hut

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: RIP - Fowler/Hilliard Hut

Postby Leigh » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:57 pm

That's too bad. I just picked up a hut brochure in Leadville last weekend that had this hut featured on the cover...it looked like a really nice one. Hopefully they can get it rebuilt with some volunteers and donations.

Postby iceman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:30 pm

Sorry guys, I didn't glean anything from this paragraph. And as far as bashing "those groups"... No need, their actions speak for themselves.

Always stirring the pot. Get a life. I thought Bill was getting rid of you guys.

We have/had the Fowler Hilliard reserved for the last weekend of January. Very sad. Now what??????

Postby colorado yooper » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Coloradan Gothic.JPG
Coloradan Gothic
Coloradan Gothic.JPG (190.45 KiB) Viewed 1450 times

So sad, it's kinda like when Deer camp burns down, without the gunfire... it was our first Hut Trip. We look forward to the rebuild.
To the High Crags!

Postby covfrrider » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:32 pm

iceman wrote:
Sorry guys, I didn't glean anything from this paragraph. And as far as bashing "those groups"... No need, their actions speak for themselves.

Always stirring the pot. Get a life. I thought Bill was getting rid of you guys.

We have/had the Fowler Hilliard reserved for the last weekend of January. Very sad. Now what??????

Dude, seriously. Why would the CBI be involved if it was just lightning? Reading between the lines is apparently a lost art for you, no? Maybe you shouldn't take offense to everything and everyone you don't agree with... Too bad for you that you can't go on your precious hut trip... cry me a river.

Postby Bean » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:40 pm

covfrrider wrote:Dude, seriously. Why would the CBI be involved if it was just lightning? Reading between the lines is apparently a lost art for you, no? Maybe you shouldn't take offense to everything and everyone you don't agree with... Too bad for you that you can't go on your precious hut trip... cry me a river.

Maybe they're investigating to determine if foul play was at hand or not? Shocking idea, I know.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby covfrrider » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Bean wrote:
covfrrider wrote:Dude, seriously. Why would the CBI be involved if it was just lightning? Reading between the lines is apparently a lost art for you, no? Maybe you shouldn't take offense to everything and everyone you don't agree with... Too bad for you that you can't go on your precious hut trip... cry me a river.

Maybe they're investigating to determine if foul play was at hand or not? Shocking idea, I know.

Bingo! We have a winner!

Postby ketel1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:Woah! I just stayed there in April. That sucks. I wonder what happened. Here's a link to my photo gallery from April. I had been considering booking it again for our 2010 trip. :(

http://picasaweb.google.com/jfroh1/2009042426FowlerHilliardHutTrip#

Sidebar Jon-
I looked at your photos and saw you doing some dangerous sledding on shovels. What were you thinking?
Next time, pull all your gear up in a Jet Sled...and have a toy, too!!
(Caution: using this sled for a toy IS potentially hazardous to your health, particularly if your runout is a forest glade. :) Uncle Bud's Hut, April 2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE1KLMHc1y8

I am a frequent user of the Hut system and really hope they can determine what caused this. It is a shame, and I hope it was not a deliberate act by anyone or any group.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 pm

ketel1 wrote:Sidebar Jon-
I looked at your photos and saw you doing some dangerous sledding on shovels. What were you thinking?
Next time, pull all your gear up in a Jet Sled...and have a toy, too!!
(Caution: using this sled for a toy IS potentially hazardous to your health, particularly if your runout is a forest glade. :) Uncle Bud's Hut, April 2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE1KLMHc1y8

I disavow all knowledge of what may or may not have occurred using shovels :D (for anyone wondering, we had a nice safe runout) As for the Jet Sled, that looks like fun!

Postby Urban Snowshoer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:
covfrrider wrote:Sierra Club? Greenpeace? Weren't they the groups allegedly involved in the fires on Vail Mtn a few years ago?

No. It was Earth First or something like that. Let's not start conspiracy theories.

Earth First essentially ended as a radical organization when Dave Foreman and several others went to jail for trying to take down a power line. This was awhile ago, late 80's, maybe early 90's. The organization may still be around to this day, but after Foreman and others were arrested by the FBI, Earth First basically evolved into a legitimate environmental organization.

As I recall the Earth Liberation Front sprang up in part by several Earth First members who wanted to keep monkeywrenching, and weren't amused that Earth First had gone legit.

Just for the record.

Postby iceman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:39 am

We received the following e-mail from the 10th Mountain Division Hut Association.

We have unfortunate news to share with you. The Fowler/Hilliard Hut has been damaged by a structure fire and will not be habitable this winter. This affects you because you have reservations at the Fowler/Hilliard Hut this winter. This is sad news for all of us because the Fowler/Hilliard Hut was a wonderful hut and we understand you were looking forward to the experience.

We are in the process of developing a "slate" of alternatives for you to choose from. This process could take up to a couple weeks because of the number of issues involved, including regulatory, finances, insurance, fire investigation results, and practicality of possible alternatives. We want to give the matter good consideration because it is most important to us to develop alternatives that meet your expectations. We will contact you within two weeks and let you know the alternatives. Please note that we will not re-book or adjust advance reservations until we have completed this process. We already know that one of the choices available to you will be a full refund of your booking fee, and there will be other choices as well.

We look forward to rebuilding the new Fowler/Hilliard Hut, and plan to do this as soon as possible. It is reasonable to expect that it will be complete by Thanksgiving 2010.

Postby ketel1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:42 am

Jon Frohlich wrote:
I disavow all knowledge of what may or may not have occurred using shovels :D (for anyone wondering, we had a nice safe runout) As for the Jet Sled, that looks like fun!

We had 2 people trying the shovel method, too....it just did not work well on our hill. They gave in and jumped in a sled, too, but went slower than Jeff did in the video. We had 2 sleds: one large, one smaller-I used the smaller one myself. We don't ski anymore (Bad ACLs, past surgery, etc) so we needed some additional fun :)
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby Skip Perkins » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:04 am

It may be just a rumor but I've heard talk that the Fowler/Hilliard Hut was a suicide. Too many nights alone and then having to watch shovel wielding guests thoroughly enjoying themselves while it had to just sit there, alone.
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

PreviousNext