Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

RIP - Fowler/Hilliard Hut

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

RIP - Fowler/Hilliard Hut

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:02 pm

Sad story, hope its not arson. The Fowler/Hilliard Hut above Camp Hale, part of the 10th Mtn Division hut system burned down this week. Its basically totally destroyed. They plan to rebuild it in 2010, but if you have reservations there this year you should contact the hut system (huts.com) and see what they are doing for refunds/rescheduling etc.

I stayed there for a weekend of BC skiing in April 2008, it was a great hut and will be missed by those who frequent the hut system.

The Fowler-Hilliard Hut, one of the most popular backcountry huts in the Vail-area, has burned down, officials said Wednesday. “The fire is out, but the hut, at this point, is a total loss,” said Patrick Thrasher, spokesman for the White River National Forest.

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20090924/NEWS/909239953/1078&ParentProfile=1062
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Re: RIP - Fowler/Hilliard Hut

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:05 pm

Woah! I just stayed there in April. That sucks. I wonder what happened. Here's a link to my photo gallery from April. I had been considering booking it again for our 2010 trip. :(

http://picasaweb.google.com/jfroh1/2009042426FowlerHilliardHutTrip#

Postby covfrrider » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:10 pm

Sierra Club? Greenpeace? Weren't they the groups allegedly involved in the fires on Vail Mtn a few years ago?

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:12 pm

covfrrider wrote:Sierra Club? Greenpeace? Weren't they the groups allegedly involved in the fires on Vail Mtn a few years ago?

No. It was Earth First or something like that. Let's not start conspiracy theories.

Postby joe4186 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Fowler/Hilliard was one of my favorite huts... good skiing around the area too
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby covfrrider » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:15 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:
covfrrider wrote:Sierra Club? Greenpeace? Weren't they the groups allegedly involved in the fires on Vail Mtn a few years ago?

No. It was Earth First or something like that. Let's not start conspiracy theories.

No conspiracy, but it would seem they might be suspects based on the article.

Postby Carl » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:17 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:

That was ELF (Earth Liberation Front).

Sucks about the hut. Hadn't been to this one but some of the others are awesome.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:19 pm

covfrrider wrote:
Jon Frohlich wrote:

Sounds like you just wanted an excuse to bash those two organizations because you could. No part of that article says anything even remotely like that.

Postby rijaca » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:24 pm

covfrrider wrote:
Jon Frohlich wrote:

Nothing in the article says or implies this.

"Ben Dodge, executive director of the Tenth Mountain Division Hut Association, said lightning was reported in the area on Sunday and Monday, and that may have sparked the fire. The hut sits on a ridge that offers great views but also exposes it to the elements."
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 pm

The article mentions recent lightning storms in the area. They will investigate, hopefully its not arson or a careless renter leaving the gas on and that its just natural causes. Its a shame in either case, it was a great hut. Its actually the cover photo for this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Hut-Vol-1/dp/1565793846
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:00 pm

What a shame.. I stayed at that hut in the fall of 2007.. Great hut, with great views of Holy Cross and Massive..bummer.
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby covfrrider » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:23 pm

"The cause of the fire is unknown and is under investigation by the Eagle County Sheriff's Office and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. A few nearby trees were scorched, but the fire was otherwise contained to the building, Lloyd said."

Sorry guys, I didn't glean anything from this paragraph. And as far as bashing "those groups"... No need, their actions speak for themselves.

Next