Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping at Mt. Biertadt

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping at Mt. Biertadt

Postby trimtb7 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:37 am

Can you camp anywhere close to the trail head of Mt. Biertadt?

Re: Camping at Mt. Biertadt

Postby Cruiser » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:39 am

I've slept next to the truck in the parking lot at the top of the pass on a couple of occassions with no issues.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby pnolans » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:01 am

You might want to realize that there are people like me who sometimes get there before dawn.

I wouldn't TRY to wake you up, if you were camped nearby. But I might not tiptoe either.

I've thought of sleepin in the car, myself. Often.
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine

Postby Cruiser » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:07 am

No problem there. My strategy is always to park at the far end of the parking lot, be it on Bierstadt or elsewhere, and then to leave just enough space between the truck and the end of the lot to throw my air mattress down. I've slept that way a lot and never really had any problems with folks waking me up. That and I start hiking at or before dawn most of the time anyway. :D
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:17 pm

There are some nice roadside spots on the south side, about 2-3 miles below the top of the pass.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Bacchus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:31 pm

there are two parking lots at Bierstadt. The top one is the best one to camp at overnight. It's quiet and not as busy, plus there is more flat land and less willows/shrubs. The bottom lot (the first lot you come across) is always crowded but alittle closer to the TH by about 60 or so yards. Both lots have a toilet (bring you own TP), but the campsites down the road do not. There is really no place to camp on the trail because there are just too many willows (I hate willows because of Bierstadt, actually because of the trail that leads to Mt. Evans from the Guanella Pass TH). So much willow bashing :evil:
"You go down the mountain on a full heart." gentleman from Tennessee
Rockchalk Jayhawk...Go KU