Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping Mt. Sherman

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping Mt. Sherman

Postby slmounteer » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Does anyone know if you can camp a couple miles in towards Mt. Sherman from the Fourmile CreekTrailhead? I am trying to do a backpack/14r combined trip, but I read two different things. One said the summit is on private property, the other says the whole thing is so no camping????
Thanks for any info,
sheri

Re: Camping Mt. Sherman

Postby astromwall » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:30 am

Im not sure about the private property deal but sherman is a peak that has no need for backpacking anyway. If you were hike 2 miles in you would be less than a mile from the summit up on a rocky slope fust before the short ridge walk to the summit. If you are looking for a short backpack and summit you could think about Belford by itself. Hiking in 2 miles puts you right around where most people camp right at treeline. Then you would still have a little more than 2 miles left to the summit.

Postby scott goldberg » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:02 am

i agree with astromwall, Sherman is really not somewhere i'd backpack into. and +1 on the whole belford/missouri area...

But if you have your heart set on sherman, and want to car camp nearby, there is an established campground on the road into the area:
http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?topTabIndex=CampingSpot&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73565

if you are looking for a backpack/14er close to denver, why not try route #2 on mt. evans, with a backpack into chicago lakes?

Postby ketel1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 am

I agree. Four Mile Creek is a road that gets a bit of traffic....and ATVers love the area. Not a pristine backpacking area, IMHO. THere are great sites to camp, but I would not backpack in. I am not sure about coming from the other side, maybe others can chime in.

We did Mt Evans via Chicago Lakes and it is STUNNING! Backpacked in, got a great campsite near the water in the trees, and climbed up to Evans one day. You can also go explore Grey Wolf and other high peaks in the area.I would recommend that area.
Beth
Attachments
amazing basin sm.JPG
View from trail near our campsite-Evans back row, far left.
amazing basin sm.JPG (175.93 KiB) Viewed 565 times
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:54 am

All of upper Fourmile Creek drainage is private property, for what it's worth.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby slmounteer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:27 pm

thanks for all the info. i've done Evans already, so i'm leaning towards Belford. anybody know the snow conditions?