Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cycling question!

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Cycling question!

Postby gdthomas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:52 am

Not a pass, but if you live in the south metro Denver area, the 2 mile Meridian circuit is a favorite of some very good cyclists. If you can keep up with this group of genetic freaks, you'll be way ahead of the curve. I've seen the largest groups on Thursday evenings around 6 pm but smaller groups ride the circuit most days of the week.

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:46 am

In the past, I have parked down in Morrison and ridden up to Red Rocks. Put in a lap or two there, then up, over, and back Dinosaur ridge...then you can either head North toward 70 for a little more mild climbing, or coast back to Morrison. Lyons to Estes is nice, or start in Boulder if you want some miles on rolling terrain before and after the climbing.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:41 pm

gdthomas wrote:Not a pass, but if you live in the south metro Denver area, the 2 mile Meridian circuit is a favorite of some very good cyclists. If you can keep up with this group of genetic freaks, you'll be way ahead of the curve. I've seen the largest groups on Thursday evenings around 6 pm but smaller groups ride the circuit most days of the week.

+1.. Great ride.. Do this one often..

Also, ride 103 out of Evergreen, up Squaw Pass and descend into Idaho Springs... Then turn around and ride back up to Squaw and back to Evergree.. Lots of climbing but nothing that will kill ya.. :P Have fun.. There's tons of great riding here... Deer Creek to High Grade is another one of my favorite lung busting climbs..
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:12 pm

gdthomas wrote:Not a pass, but if you live in the south metro Denver area, the 2 mile Meridian circuit is a favorite of some very good cyclists. If you can keep up with this group of genetic freaks, you'll be way ahead of the curve. I've seen the largest groups on Thursday evenings around 6 pm but smaller groups ride the circuit most days of the week.

Not to threadjack, but where does this one start?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby KeithK » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:26 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:

Dish Network!!! :lol: I'm sure they'd love to have you parked there! Well, on 2nd thought, you'd probably be towed, and quickly. The Meridian loop is between County Line and Lincoln, east of I-25 and west of Peoria. I'm not sure where people park to start it, but I imagine there are plenty of options in there. And if you're observant, you may notice that all of the streets have familiar names to them...
Snow is dumb.™

Postby gdthomas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:37 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:

There is a small parking area on the the north side of the circuit that I believe is available to anyone. I've never parked there since I live only 4 miles from the start so I just ride over and back.

Postby D8S » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:36 pm

IMO, the best place to test your mettle is Mt. Evans from Idaho Springs. Not because its got so much vertical, but because its such a steady climb. You can basically ride until you bonk, 3+ hours depending on your pace, then turn around and let gravity take you home. If you don't bonk on Evans, you won't bonk anywhere.

Getting an early start eliminates almost all of the traffic, and like Trailridge Road, most drivers are moving slowly. Beginning the day after Labor Day, once you get to Summit Lake (a Denver Mountain Park, not Forest Service) the road is closed to vehicles but open to bikes. Yeah!

Don't let the rangers intimidate you into paying the fee, you're using the state highway, and you've already paid for that.

With the money you saved, stop at the Echo Lake Lodge for a piece of their world famous pie.

Dave

Postby Prairie Native » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:15 pm

Hmm. Interesting suggestion, I might as well give Evans a go while im there. Ill prolly attempt independence pass first just because Ill be near aspen next summer. But Evans would be a cool climb to have under my belt. My bike is an early 90's Carbon Trek, does anyone know if the shimano 600 brakes have issues with heating up the rims? I take the descents here pretty quick but nothing as sustained as something like Evans/Indepedence. Ive hit 48 coming down a hill near baldwin here, but I was also peddling my butt off.
Something witty.

Postby Hobopoet » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:22 pm

I suggest 550 north out of Durango to Silverton and then on to Ouray. Three passes in 65 miles or so! And, it you really want to test yourself, continue on to Telluride, then Cortez. I think there's an organized ride over this route each summer. :)

Postby PracticallyNative » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Prairie Native wrote:Hmm. Interesting suggestion, I might as well give Evans a go while im there. Ill prolly attempt independence pass first just because Ill be near aspen next summer. But Evans would be a cool climb to have under my belt. My bike is an early 90's Carbon Trek, does anyone know if the shimano 600 brakes have issues with heating up the rims? I take the descents here pretty quick but nothing as sustained as something like Evans/Indepedence. Ive hit 48 coming down a hill near baldwin here, but I was also peddling my butt off.

Don't worry about your brakes...I did Evans in June and my fingers were so frickin numb on the way down that I could barely pull on my brakes! I don't know anything about shimano 600 brakes, but serioulsy, bring good gloves! And watch out for marmots!
It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves
-Sir Edmund Hillary

Postby wncpisgah » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:01 pm

Prairie Native wrote:does anyone know if the shimano 600 brakes have issues with heating up the rims? I take the descents here pretty quick but nothing as sustained as something like Evans/Indepedence. Ive hit 48 coming down a hill near baldwin here, but I was also peddling my butt off.

Overheating rims is more of a problem with tubular tires (glued on tire...no innertube) which most people don't ride these days.

Independence isn't super steep -- You'll have to pedal hard to go over 50 mph and really don't have to brake very much. Great climb with minimal traffic (except later in the day on weekends). If you're in that area and looking for more, check out Cottonwood Pass outside Buena Vista. The east side is paved...the west side going down toward Taylor Park is dirt.

Postby Prairie Native » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Thanks for clearing up the issue about the tires. That makes sense. I also bought this bike used and have no idea about gearing. Its a double and seems like its geared for flats not climbs. But I guess that will make me stronger...
Something witty.

PreviousNext