Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Mexico in October

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: New Mexico in October

Postby bertcat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:20 am

I have done Sierra Blanca several times as day trips from Las Cruces.
I dont expect snow there until November or December. Some years Ski Apache doesnt get enough
winer snow to operate except for fake snow on the bunny slope.

Ruidoso area usually has good fall color around mid-October.

There is a group from here planning to camp and hike Wheeler on Oct 10.

Bert
Imagination is the key to reality

Postby MtHurd » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Sierra Blanca is a very nice peak, but there are some others that are nice as well in the vicinity. Nogal Peak to White Horse Hill is a very nice hike/backpack.

NOTE: Sierra Blanca is on Apache Land. I doubt the people that climb it ask for permission, but if you don't you run the risk of trespassing.

Postby stretch2187 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Sierra Blanca is a great day hike. Most of the hike is in the White mountain wilderness of the Lincoln National Forest, but the peak is on the Mescalero Apache reservation. I lived in Ruidoso for two years and never heard about anyone getting in trouble for going to the peak without permission. If you just want an easy overnighter, you can hike from Ski Apache to some good camping above Ice Spring (trail 15 to trail 25). The peak is a pretty easy hike from the spring. If you want a longer backpacking trip, I'd suggest the crest trail (trail 25). The complete trail is almost 22 miles long, but it has several access points so it's really easy to just hike part of it. If you want a really challenging hike take trail 19 from the Southfork Campground by Bonita lake up to the Crest trail (trail 25) and take that over to the camping above Ice Spring I mentioned earlier. You can peak out and descend to Ski Apache, or hike over to Monjeau Lookout by continuing on the Crest Trail. The scenery is gorgeous, and if you're there in October, the weather should be pretty mild and you'll be very likely to see the Aspen in fall color.

Edit: You can get a topo of the White Mountain Wilderness at the Ranger station in Ruidoso.

Previous