Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grays, before and after?? RUT

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Grays, before and after?? RUT

Postby paul109876 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:42 am

I'm surprised nobody has posted before and after pictures of the notorius "Rut" section .2 miles up the road leading to Grays.
That rut has created many a heated discussion and beat downs on the forum.
Is it truly gone?? Will there be a flood of humanity like I saw on Quandry??
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Re: Grays, before and after?? RUT

Postby zoomie83 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:16 am

Ken Dammen and I posted updates on the trailhead page a couple of days ago. There were less people than normal on Sunday 9/13 but that was probably because of the weather.

Postby paul109876 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:18 am

I was looking for someone to post an "after" picture to go with this "before" picture.
rutcrossing.jpg
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby thuja » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:14 pm

It, along with most other features on the road, are gone completely, the road was completely smoothed. Too bad. It was pretty entertaining to see Civics make it up no problem, and big ol' fancy SUV's parked below the rut... I don't see how those mountains could get any busier, so I doubt there will be a noticeable increase in crowds!

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:41 pm

The fill they placed in the rut seemed kind of loose; I wouldn't be surprised if it re-emerged by next summer sometime. Get up there while you can!
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby leavit2stevit » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:54 pm

thuja wrote:It, along with most other features on the road, are gone completely, the road was completely smoothed. Too bad. It was pretty entertaining to see Civics make it up no problem, and big ol' fancy SUV's parked below the rut... I don't see how those mountains could get any busier, so I doubt there will be a noticeable increase in crowds!

You probably saw my gray Honda Civic up there Sunday!

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:59 pm

paul109876 wrote:I was looking for someone to post an "after" picture to go with this "before" picture.

That's the rut that everybody's been talking about?! Sweet whiny Jesus. Next year there will be people complaining about a big rock in the trail that it's really, really hard to step all the way up on.

Postby pnolans » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:That's the rut that everybody's been talking about?! Sweet whiny Jesus. Next year there will be people complaining about a big rock in the trail that it's really, really hard to step all the way up on.

+1

Welcome to Colorado. There are trails that are MUCH worse. They're just not an hour's drive from Denver.
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine

Postby thuja » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:That's the rut that everybody's been talking about?! Sweet whiny Jesus. Next year there will be people complaining about a big rock in the trail that it's really, really hard to step all the way up on.

Yeah, the first time I was there we got all the way to the parking lot, still watching for the big ol' nasty rut, having driven over it without realizing it. It's amazing what people will worry (and complain) about. But for one of the easiest and closest 14ers to Denver, so it goes.

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:04 pm

g wrote:
Doug Shaw wrote:That's the rut that everybody's been talking about?! Next year there will be people complaining about a big rock in the trail that it's really, really hard to step all the way up on.

+1 on that! I was thinking "what rut?" Man, if people think that's a bad rut... Last time I was up there though I got stuck behind somebody in an Audi or some real fancy smancy expensive "SUV" going 2 mph.

+2.
I was up there two summers ago (conditions change) in a Subaru and wondered what the commotion was all about. I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought if it weren't for all the hype.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby rijaca » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

g wrote:

+1 on that! I was thinking "what rut?" Man, if people think that's a bad rut... Last time I was up there though I got stuck behind somebody in an Audi or some real fancy smancy expensive "SUV" going 2 mph.

90% of the SUVs in Colorado (and their driver's) have never been off road.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby pnolans » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 pm

rijaca wrote:90% of the SUVs in Colorado (and their driver's) have never been off road.

As was said earlier, it's pretty obvious from the way people drive the things.

I was driving back from GPass yesterday, and the traffic on I25 slowed to a crawl. Why? It had started raining. Most of the cars, trucks and SUVS
could have driven significantly faster than the 20MPH they were driving.

WTF????

Oh, well... there's a lot more stuff worth getting worried about. Like, what the hell am I going to do with the TWO slide rules I have?
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine

Next