Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

South Colony Lakes vs. XY

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

South Colony Lakes vs. XY

Postby KilmerSideArmsTheVan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:58 pm

Just wondering about the 4x4 conditions on South Colony Lakes to the TH. I've driven Winfield (Huron & La Plata) and Castle Creek Road (Castle) past the bridge and up to 12k. I have a stock Ford Explorer Sport. Any comparisons with the roads? Precautions? Anything helps, really. Thanks!

Re: South Colony Lakes vs. XY

Postby JA_son27 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:18 pm

you will be able to make it all the way assuming your explorer is 4x4 I thought Huron and S. Colony were similar except that the tough part of Huron was pretty short. If your explorer isn't 4x4 then you still could make it quite far up the road possibly up to the upper creek crossing.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby globreal » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:23 pm

I've taken my Explorer all the way to the end of the road (South Colony Lakes.)

The question is...what's the latest with the road closures? Are they still stopping traffic during the day?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby scottfarish » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Drove the road last Sunday (9/13). It is in good shape, with 3 creek crossings. I'd say that clearance and wheelbase are your biggest factors. We saw a full-size Ford truck that had the 4x4 components to handle the road, but the long wheelbase made it tricky to negotiate one of the "humps" in the road, and he ended up with a nasty tweak to his running board. Saw plenty of stock 4wd drives at the upper 4wd lot that made it without a problem. Just pick the right line, and take the humps slowly.

Postby colowolf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:29 pm

I went up the S. Colony 4wd road (Jeep Grand Cherokee) on Friday the 11th and the construction crews were done and gone. The sign indicated that the work was to be completed Sept. 11th. There was no lingering sign of construction equipment or anything else that gave the indication they were going to return any time soon.

FYI from the end of the 2wd drive, it is exactly 2.7 miles to the end of the 4wd road. It took me about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The road is not horrible but it does take a lot of time to navigate around the larger rocks and pot holes.
Ask me about my vow of silence..

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:36 pm

I can I make it up to the 4WD Trailhead in a 2WD Jeep Liberty? I am both worried about clearance and the 2WD aspect.

Postby Kane » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:44 pm

I never used 4wd on the way up however I really liked having it for breaking on the decent back down the road. Otherwise you will be riding your breaks for over an hour.

Postby semitrueskerm » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:51 pm

Just an update on South Colony FR 120. You will have little or no problem getting to the 2WD parking area. A little bumpy in a few spots, but even sedans should not have a problem. The parking area at the 2WD parking area also looked to be leveled off and maybe even more spots added. The 2.7 miles beyond the 2WD to the 4WD will definitely require a higher clearing. It took me an 1 hour to slowly get up to the 4WD parking area right before the river and the main 4WD lot. Very bumpy and some big dips that will scrape the bottom of even your regular SUV. It me 1.5 hours to drive down, it sucked. My advice...park at 2WD and hike up (or try to get a ride from a brave soul driving up.) FYI, the 4WD route will close to vehicles permenently in a few weeks. I think this stinks and wish they would maintain it.

Postby flintster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Hey, I drove this in a stock 2007 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition on Aug 19th. I drove to the top of the 4wd road with zero problems. 50 minutes up (last 10 in the dark), and about 45 min down (but I was trying to make the 1230pm road opening, didn't want to wait till the 330pm opening).

It would be pretty much physically impossible to get your car stuck on the road. There is nothing technical about it. At all. It's just very very rocky and bumpy. Very. I scraped my skid plate 3 or 4 times, probably could have avoided it with a better line but it's probably going to happen.

But I repeat, it's just rocky (all < 8" tall), there is zero technical 4wd aspects of the road. It's all about clearance. You could do the whole thing in 2wd if you wanted but agree with the last guy about 4wd-low to get down without touching your brakes.

Have fun, only a couple weeks till it's closed!

Postby Beaker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:30 pm

I've heard the 4wd road will be closing on Oct. 13.

There was a Ford Taurus sedan up at the end of the 4wd road this week-end. =D> Wondering how well they made it down.
You have a cough? Eat a whole box of Ex-Lax tonite, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.

Postby Steve Bonowski » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:02 am

As an FYI, was up at Winfield over the weekend and tried Huron on Sunday. Forest Service has recently graded the Huron road from just outside of Winfield to the trailhead closure. It's still bumpy and they recommend 4x4. However, a couple regular cars made it all the way. A 2wd vehicle should go really slow in places; but the bad ruts are gone for now.

Postby happyhappyjoyjoy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Does anyone know the exact date the South Colony Lake road (to the top 4wd parking) will be closed?
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds"- Edward Abbey

Next